• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Final Roster Projection

Jeremy Igo

Here is my last projection for the roster this year, including areas that may be targeted for free agency upgrades off the waiver wire. 

OFFENSE (26)

Quarterbacks (3)

Cam Newton, Derek Anderson, Joe Webb.

There have been calls for Webb to jump ahead of Anderson on the depth chart, but I don't see it happening. However, if it ever did, there would be no reason to keep Anderson on the roster. He provides no value elsewhere, unlike Webb. 

Running backs (3)

Jonathan Stewart, Christian McCaffrey, Cameron Artis-Payne.

I still see Fozzy Whitaker being a casualty this year. Ron Rivera recently said that Artis-Payne was "part of the puzzle". Fozzy has been a serviceable back but cannot fill in for both Stewart and McCaffrey. CAP can. 

Fullback (2) 

Darrell Young, Alex Armah.

The Carolina Panthers keep two fullbacks? I know it sounds crazy, but Armah has shown enough in preseason to deserve a jersey. Don't think of it as two fullbacks, think of it as a starting fullback and a special teams player, much like the extra linebacker that is usually kept. 

Offensive line (10) 

Matt Kalil, Andrew Norwell, Ryan Kalil, Trai Turner, Daryl Williams, Taylor Moton, Chris Scott, Tyler Larson, Amini Silatolu, Gino Gradkowski.

Here is one group that could benefit from an experienced veteran free agent. The Panthers still need depth at offensive tackle. A waiver wire pickup could replace Gradkowski's spot here. 

Wide Receivers (5) 

Kelvin Benjamin, Devin Funchess, Curtis Samuel, Russell Shepard, Damiere Byrd.  

Keeping only five receivers makes sense as McCaffrey can fill in and probably be the second best target on the field behind Greg Olsen. 

Tight Ends (3) 

Greg Olsen, Ed Dickson, Chris Manhertz.  

Here is another position to keep an eye on once cut downs happen. Manhertz has looked mediocre and would not be difficult to upgrade off waivers. For those of you wishing Dickson off the roster, so sorry. He is by far the Carolina Panthers best blocking tight end. 

DEFENSE (24)

Defensive line (9)

Charles Johnson, Kawann Short, Star Lotulelei, Julius Peppers, Vernon Butler, Mario Addison, Daeshon Hall, Eric Crume, Wes Horton.

I have added Eric Crume here based on the amount of time he has had this preseason. The 330 pound defensive tackle has done a good job of anchoring the defensive line when needed. 

Linebackers (6)

Thomas Davis, Luke Kuechly, Shaq Thompson, David Mayo, Jeremy Cash, Jared Norris.  

Ben Jacobs loses his spot to fullback Alex Armah on special teams. The remaining six linebackers are the best unit in the NFL. Period. 

Corners (5)

James Bradberry, Daryl Worley, Captain Munnerlyn, Corn Elder, Teddy Williams.

Not a perfect unit, but so much better off than at this point last season. No longer a weakness, closer to a strength. 

Safeties (4)

Kurt Coleman, Mike Adams, LJ McCray, Colin Jones.

Free agent alert. It would not be difficult to improve on the depth here. I suspect the Carolina Panthers take a good long look at more than one safety option off of the waiver wire. 

SPECIAL TEAMS ( 3) 

Graham Gano, Andy Lee, JJ Jansen

There has been some scuttlebutt surrounding Palardy making the team over Lee, but I don't agree. The Panthers showcasing Palardy so much this preseason may be more of a showcasing of talent for trade potential. Solid young punters are not exactly easily found and quite a few teams could use one. Gano has won the kicking battle over Butker. 

Practice Squad

Austin Duke, Zeke Bigger, Brian Cox, Cole Luke, Toby Johnson, Jalen Simmons, Dan France, three other guys from other teams. 

19 minutes ago, RoaringRiot said:

I can't see Corn getting a roster spot. He has zero NFL experience. Throwing him out there coming off an injury and no practice is terrifying. Sanchez gets that last CB spot IMO and Corn goes to the IR designated to return.

Would need to first make the 53 man roster before they can do that.

If they cut him before then, he goes on waivers.

Corn looked 100 times better than Sanchez even in OTAs. Having Sanchez on the field is far more terrifying.

Given our thinness at DT and DB, I tend to doubt we keep 10 O-linemen.  Usually I'm in favor of keeping 10, but so far, thankfully, all of our O-line have been healthy and we've got several guys who can play multiple positions.  Larsen has looked good enough to be backup Center. 

I guess the question is how worried are we about Ryan's shoulder.  If there's any question that he could miss a lot of snaps, then I could see us keeping 3 Centers.  After all we did bring back Folkerts too, so I'm thinking there's some concern there.

Hard to judge what we'll do with Armah, especially since Gettleman is gone.  I don't know how Hurney feels about projects and risking drafted players to the waiver wire & practice squad.  I think we WILL keep 5 RBs/FBs,  the question basically comes down to Fozzy vs. Armah and who is more value on Special Teams.  Ron I'm sure would vote to keep Fozzy somehow, but we can't dress 4 RBs, that's for sure. 

We keep letting good RBs go... a great testimony to Skipper's coaching.

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Would need to first make the 53 man roster before they can do that.

If they cut him before then, he goes on waivers.

I don't think so.  I think at cuts players can go to the IR.  It's what we did with KB in 2015.  But if we had tried to IR him BEFORE final cuts he would have gone to waivers, like Gaffney.

I'll be sad to see Love go if your DT roster works out as written.  He's been a pretty key and underappreciated cog in our DT rotation the last few years, but of course with his injury and lack of preseason playing time and practice, it makes sense that Crume would get his spot. 

Archived