• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Funchess demoted?

Jeremy Igo

He had a couple nice catches, the one that was way high, and then the one that was kinda low.  But yea, he does not need to be a starter.  He's got a long way to go til he can earn any significant playing time, in the mind of this fan (obviously Ron typically has a different opinion.)

6 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

So what does everyone make of Funchess playing later into the game last night? 

Definitely a message sent to him from the coaching staff? 

Personally, I think he was playing late in to the game to get more work in. You can't fumble and drop passes and not expect to be put in a situation where you put in more work in a preseason game. The problem right now is that there isn't enough contrast between the ability of Olsen, KB, and Funchess. The coaching staff needs to figure out a way to keep guys fresh and find a rotation that works to keep defenses off balance. Though traditionally, teams will send out the same few guys every offensive snap. 

3 hours ago, WarHeel said:

Didn't see that comment but I agree. Hard to gauge what a receiver is capable of for most situations if you can't even put the ball in his vicinity.

With DA, anyone that's not KB, Olsen and Dickson have disappeared.  

I said back in TC in the WR Prediction Thread that he could slip off the roster and give that spot to a guy like  Byrd or Duke, especially with Hurney having no sentimental connection to Funchess.  Funchess has just seemed lazy and disinterested, and I never felt he had the skill or talent to warrant the reverence some have had for him.  I'd rather the spot go to a guy who might not have all the measurables, but works hard, is engaged, and wants to be better.  I was happy to see the staff sending that message last night.  If you're the guy they drafted you to be, show it.  If not, don't let the door hit you on the way out...  tired of waiting on guys that aren't all in.

BTW, I was wrong earlier. It was Gilbert who finally threw it to Funchess on his first throw and even the Jags announcers thought it was a hell of a catch. Gilbert also threw it to Samuel on his best play. I would love to be able to keep Gilbert and let him develop for a couple of years because I believe he can be a good back up, at least.

5 hours ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

How about the two that he caught then? The first one was a hell of a catch on a high throw and on the other one, he out fought a couple of defenders to gain an extra couple of yards. Please show me what you're complaining about because I must have missed it.

How about in three preseason games he hadn't shown up in any? He made those plays against second stringers. Let's throw a parade for him then:eyeroll:.

4 minutes ago, XOBlackxJokerOX said:

How about in three preseason games he hadn't shown up in any? He made those plays against second stringers. Let's throw a parade for him then:eyeroll:.

Dude, he was thrown to twice and he made the play both times. In fact, until Frasier had his big play, Funchess had the best catch of any Panther WR of the night. How do you expect him to make any more plays when they don't throw him the damn ball? BTW, he also had a key block that sprung Stewart for that long run on the Panthers first play, so he was doing some good work without the ball too. What more do you want in the pre season when the QB who played the most couldn't hit anybody?

6 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Dude, he was thrown to twice and he made the play both times. In fact, until Frasier had his big play, Funchess had the best catch of any Panther WR of the night. How do you expect him to make any more plays when they don't throw him the damn ball? BTW, he also had a key block that sprung Stewart for that long run on the Panthers first play, so he was doing some good work without the ball too. What more do you want in the pre season when the QB who played the most couldn't hit anybody?

I'm not sure what you see in the guy. I, like most fans, want to see that speed they keep talking about in TC that we don't in games. I keep saying he's our Dwayne Jarrett because you can hope and hope and hope but the kid ain't got it. If he proves me wrong during the season I'll eat my crow but all he's done against the 1's is disappear, regardless of who's throwing it.

5 minutes ago, XOBlackxJokerOX said:

I'm not sure what you see in the guy. I, like most fans, want to see that speed they keep talking about in TC that we don't in games. I keep saying he's our Dwayne Jarrett because you can hope and hope and hope but the kid ain't got it. If he proves me wrong during the season I'll eat my crow but all he's done against the 1's is disappear, regardless of who's throwing it.

I can't even take you seriously if you're going to compare Funchess to Dwayne Jarrett.

Jarrett was here 4 years and caught 35 balls for 428yds and 1 TD

Funchess has only been here 2 years and has caught 54 balls for 844yds and 9TD's and he's still learning how to play WR.

9 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I can't even take you seriously if you're going to compare Funchess to Dwayne Jarrett.

Context seems to be the issue you're having with my comment. Let me help you out... The same hype. The hype is there but no results. If you want an actual comparison, he makes Brandon Lafell look like a pro bowler by stat comparison. 

Funchess is a third year WR. School is over. 

18 minutes ago, XOBlackxJokerOX said:

Context seems to be the issue you're having with my comment. Let me help you out... The same hype. The hype is there but no results. If you want an actual comparison, he makes Brandon Lafell look like a pro bowler by stat comparison. 

Funchess is a third year WR. School is over. 

I get what you're trying to say, but the Lafell stuff is alternative facts. In his first two years, Lafell was a legit number two receiver here. There was Smitty, then Lafell. Olsen wasn't here in 2010, but in 2012 Olsen wasn't a number one option. Funchess has, at best, been a third receiving option in 2015, and a fourth in 2016, with Olsen, KB, Ginn (and sometimes Philly) all ahead of him in terms of looks. Still, he only trails Lafell in yards by 200 after two years, and Funchess has basically doubled him in touchdowns. 

I think we all agree (@Hogmolliesmaht included) that Funch needs to be more of a playmaker in the regular season, but surely we can give him credit for making good catches during the preseason. 

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

I said back in TC in the WR Prediction Thread that he could slip off the roster and give that spot to a guy like  Byrd or Duke, especially with Hurney having no sentimental connection to Funchess.  Funchess has just seemed lazy and disinterested, and I never felt he had the skill or talent to warrant the reverence some have had for him.  I'd rather the spot go to a guy who might not have all the measurables, but works hard, is engaged, and wants to be better.  I was happy to see the staff sending that message last night.  If you're the guy they drafted you to be, show it.  If not, don't let the door hit you on the way out...  tired of waiting on guys that aren't all in.

Where do you get that he is lazy from? 

Archived