• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Funchess demoted?

Jeremy Igo

Just now, tres said:

I'm not gonna lie, I like having two 6'5" receivers on the field, but I'm pessimistic his [Funchess'] production will go up with having Samuel, CMC, and even Byrd in the fold. No doubt in my mind though, that he'll come through when we need him. 

And that's all we can ask for. We are not going to throw the ball 45 times a game like the Saints, so there is only going to be so many opportunities for any pass catcher not named Olsen or Benjamin. 

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

No one... yet. I hope that Samuel will over the course of the season.

Samuel has a LOT to learn yet. He's fast, but so are most NFL corners. If you're expecting anything over about 25 catches for him, then you will probably be disappointed. Again, there are only so many opportunities for Panthers WR's not named Olsen or Benjamin. That's just the way it is. And if they start throwing more to RB's it will be even fewer.

3 minutes ago, tres said:

I'm not gonna lie, I like having two 6'5" receivers on the field, but I'm pessimistic his [Funchess'] production will go up with having Samuel, CMC, and even Byrd in the fold. No doubt in my mind though, that he'll come through when we need him. 

It was nice in theory but in reality, KB sand Funchess are just too redundant. Funchess may run faster but he doesn't play any faster. He's basically a softer, weaker poor man's version of KB.

I still keep hoping that something will click for him, but I'm thinking it's probably not going to happen. Seems like he's basically Kony Ealy the WR without that Super Bowl performance to hang his hat on.

Just now, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Samuel has a LOT to learn yet. He's fast, but so are most NFL corners. If you're expecting anything over about 25 catches for him, then you will probably be disappointed. Again, there are only so many opportunities for Panthers WR's not named Olsen or Benjamin. That's just the way it is. And if they start throwing more to RB's it will be even fewer.

I've spent most of this training camp and preseason curbing expectations, especially early on, for Samuel but I'd almost guarantee he has over 25 catches if he isn't hampered by that hammy. That's the wildcard IMO.

1 minute ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

It's more than one play with Benji and you know it. I can post countless gifs of Benji not giving a poo in his routes when he's not the focus (like San Diego) or him dropping a crucial first down (like Pittsburgh) or getting out hustled by smaller DBs (like Minnesota). 

Kelvin should be doing THAT on every play. Being horsefed doesn't count. He's our first rounder. He's 6'5" 240 lbs. He should be bullying DBs. 

I'd love to see KB and more consistent and I agree that he'll oftentimes loaf when the ball isn't coming his way but he absolutely does bully DBs when the ball is in the air.

KB isn't perfect by any means, but he's our best WR by a long shot.

2 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

It's more than one play with Benji and you know it. I can post countless gifs of Benji not giving a poo in his routes when he's not the focus (like San Diego) or him dropping a crucial first down (like Pittsburgh) or getting out hustled by smaller DBs (like Minnesota). 

Kelvin should be doing THAT on every play. Being horsefed doesn't count. He's our first rounder. He's 6'5" 240 lbs. He should be bullying DBs. 

I will never understand your hatred for KB. The guy looks better than ever and he already has almost 2,000yds in two NFL seasons. I like Funchess too, but this stuff is ludicrous.

Promethean has to cope with the fact that Funchess will NEVER be better than KB, so he tries to the spin the topic by saying "if Funchess plays with Tom Brady or Drew Brees they will use him properly" if if if, if ifs and buts were candy and nut, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

Funchess is the same player he was a Michigan but since you and apparently Gettleman don't watch college ball they still think he's gonna be some break out star. Every Michigan fan and their mother knew Funchess was mediocre 

49 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I will never understand your hatred for KB. The guy looks better than ever and he already has almost 2,000yds in two NFL seasons. I like Funchess too, but this stuff is ludicrous.

The internet is full of weirdos....only logical explanation

2 hours ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I wouldn't jump to conclusions if I were you. Samuel's longest play went for 7 yds. last night. Funchess has proven a lot more than  he has so far.

That's true, maybe I'm jumping the gun. It is frustrating though (despite his couple of good plays with the backups) since I've been defending his "potential" for the last 2 seasons. I'm officially shifting my enthusiasm from Funch to Samuel until shown otherwise.

Edit: I'm not suggesting cutting Funchess, that's crazy talk.

Just now, Snake said:

Said before DAs poor performance has given excuses for the WRs. 

Didn't see that comment but I agree. Hard to gauge what a receiver is capable of for most situations if you can't even put the ball in his vicinity.

Archived