• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Funchess demoted?

Jeremy Igo

15 minutes ago, mrknowitall said:

But don't you want two guys? One to stretch the d and open space underneath (Byrd), and one like Samuel who, if he has some space, can take a short pass and turn it into a touchdown. 

Samuel can do both. 

As for Funchess, he's a hard guy to cut. Other than KB, there is really no big guy WR threat. I do think there is a place for him. But I think it is clear the coaching staff finally realized Funchess and KB can't play together.

Honestly, had Samuel not been hurt virtually the entire offseason I think Funchess may have already lost that starting spot. Funchess will have to do something to hold that kid off and I doubt he will. As Samuel gets more comfortable during the course of the season I expect to see more of him and less of Funchess.

26 minutes ago, Darvinsun said:

All i can say for the wrs group is that it is tragic when your starting qb is out so develope no rapport and the back up plays like some quy that sits in the stands.Even if you do your job and get open qb is not vapable of throwi g a catchable ball nor seeing and choosing you when you do get open...i feel like our qbs do not read who is open but who they like overall to throw to..

reu98yh.png

7 minutes ago, rainwater said:

Samuel can do both. 

As for Funchess, he's a hard guy to cut. Other than KB, there is really no big guy WR threat. I do think there is a place for him. But I think it is clear the coaching staff finally realized they can't play together.

True, but I meant it in the sense that both would be on the field simultaneously. We all agree that the Panthers need someone who has enough speed to stretch the defense. But when that defense is stretched, it would be great if we had someone who can take maximum advantage of it. Someone who's fast/shifty enough to catch the ball underneath and then rack up YAC. Neither Kelvin, GO, or Fun Fun has shown off the agility or breakaway speed to make it happen after the catch. KB uses power which can get him an extra five to ten yards. GO runs great routes, so he gets enough separation to gain extra yards on some plays. Devin often looks off balance after catching the ball, so the best he can do a lot of the time is stumble for a few yards.

Maybe Clay can earn the spot over Byrd, but Clay is still playing with the second and third stringers. Byrd has played with the first team the last two games. 

If Samuel stretches the d, right now it seems like the only one who could catch a short pass and take it for a score is CMC.

That's just my opinion though. 

Just now, mrknowitall said:

True, but I meant it in the sense that both would be on the field simultaneously. We all agree that the Panthers need someone who has enough speed to stretch the defense. But when that defense is stretched, it would be great if we had someone who can take maximum advantage of it. Someone who's fast/shifty enough to catch the ball and then rack up YAC.

I just don't see the Panthers running a lot of 3 WR sets. No way KB is going to be on the bench. And with CMC, I think the importance of the 3rd WR will be pretty limited.

5 minutes ago, luke nukem said:

Texans are on the list because Nuk, Will fuller, and Strong will likley all be missing week 1.

First I've heard of Nuk missing time, but even if he misses one week, he's not dead. Fuller had a decent rookie year and Strong has been a disappointment but Nuk is a no-poo #1 receiver, something the Panthers clearly lack.

DA was at QB.  Funchess is in to open up the passing game to allow the other receivers to get a chance at a play.  In the play that DA threw to Dickson last night that caused an INT, Funchess was wide opened.  Of course that was probably one play, but I'm not saying he has gotten better nor that he has regressed.  He's just seems to be the same player from last year.  Hopefully when the season starts, he'll get something going.  Still a WR2/3 IMO.  Byrd was definitely MIA in the game also.

I'm amazed that people already want to replace Funchess with Samuel based on last night. Funchess, who was only targeted twice that I could see, had 2 catches for 21 yards. Samuel, who was targeted about 10 times, had 4 catches for about 15 yards. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Funchess did more with his opportunities than Samuel did and they both played with the same QB. That's not to mention the fact that Funchess has already proven that the can make plays in real games when given  the chance.

9 minutes ago, rainwater said:

I just don't see the Panthers running a lot of 3 WR sets. No way KB is going to be on the bench. And with CMC, I think the importance of the 3rd WR will be pretty limited.

i think they will go 3 wr and 2 wr most of the time, hardly ever 4, and never 5.  cmc will be that 4th and 5th reciever coming out of the backfield.  I cant see them going 2 TE set all the time

Archived