• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Foreshadowing?

Jeremy Igo

32 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I really don't see Armah beating out Young on the final roster. Young gets a lot of flack here but he is an excellent veteran blocking fullback. 

I don't recall really hearing anything about Young throughout camp. Has he looked passable?

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

If CAP might be Stewart's replacement in a year, I'd rather keep him on the 53. Unfortunately since CAP is already 6 years older than CMC he isn't a long term solution. Amazing to think that CAP will be 28 next offseason if that is his chance to really takeover for Stewart. That said CMC will be getting the bulk of the carries so maybe that's OK. Fozzie seems very replaceable right now. 

There's nothing you say above that is inaccurate, but I have to point out (like I have before) that between high school and JUCO, CAP was out of football for almost 2 years.

So, yes, next offseason he'll be 28, but he's got 2 years less "wear and tear" than most 28 year olds (also, of his 2 years at Auburn, his first (junior) year he wasn't heavily used... Tre Mason was Auburn's "work horse" that year).

Now the above has nothing to do with whether or not CAP will ever "replace" Stewie, but just a correction as to the "age" factor.

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

I don't recall really hearing anything about Young throughout camp. Has he looked passable?

In the first 2 preseason games at least, Young has shown zip zilch nada.

The reason he has any advantage at all over Armah is Rivera's ingrained veteran favoritism. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Looks like the Giants could really use a decent running back right about now. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we balked at their trade offers unless they offer something stupid for CAP. I truly think  Rivera would be ok with keeping Stew + CMC + Fozz + CAP + fullback. The key is that Fozz and CMC offer more than just RB roles, same with the FB.

I do think that would cut us down to 5 WRs though. KB + Funch + Shepard + Samuel + Byrd. Bersin gets cut and probably resigned later in the season. 

2 minutes ago, SOJA said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we balked at their trade offers unless they offer something stupid for CAP. I truly think  Rivera would be ok with keeping Stew + CMC + Fozz + CAP + fullback. The key is that Fozz and CMC offer more than just RB roles, same with the FB.

I do think that would cut us down to 5 WRs though. KB + Funch + Shepard + Samuel + Byrd. Bersin gets cut and probably resigned later in the season. 

Cut Fozzy, keep an additional WR, and assign Samuel additional responsibilities of the so-called "Fozzy role" out of the backfield since Samuel showed at OSU that he was very, very good at it.

16 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Cut Fozzy, keep an additional WR, and assign Samuel additional responsibilities of the so-called "Fozzy role" out of the backfield since Samuel showed at OSU that he was very, very good at it.

Great idea, and in future seasons that would definitley work. But seeing he's a rookie and still learning WR I want him to spend all of his time on that

15 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Wasn't there two issues with Artis Payne

1. Blitz pickup

2. Catching out of the back field 

has that changed?

I thought there was no shot at him making the roster but Rivera is raving about him, just reading the tea leaves

I think Fozzy is still ahead of CAP on Rivers's depth chart.  I think CAP still has a lot to prove in order to leapfrog Fozzy. 

Fozzy can run, catch, knows the plays, pass protect and can play special teams. 

CAP runs better between the tackles.  

So if looking at the 3rd string RB spot Fozzy has an edge still. 

if there was a way I'd cut Fozzy and keep Armah. Having seeing him with the ball and thundering down the sideline to stonewall that secondary defender at the goaline.  He would be the new and improved Tolbert.  I'd keep him to complement JStew and CMC.  Has good hands out of the back field, faster than Darrel Young, and would add some shelf life for JStew on the 3 & 1s.

Archived