• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Practice Update - Cam Newton

Jeremy Igo

carolina panthers_-13.jpg

Cam Newton threw the most balls today that he had since the beginning of camp, but still did not take on a full practice worth of throwing. Derek Anderson would step in with the first team offense to relieve Newton before the completion of the reps. 

Cam made a couple of long throws, but was off target on both. Both landed long. I suspect that is better than them not being long enough. 

Cam had a really nice intermediate pass to Greg Olsen in the back right corner of the end zone, putting it where only Olsen could get to it. Probably the nicest throw I have seen from him since opening day of camp. 

Cam is still rusty, however. Many of his throws were high or off target. Thomas Davis picked off one of his passes pretty easily. More of a bad decision than a bad throw. Of course, this is too be expected for any QB catching up on reps. This makes Cam playing in the next preseason game so important. 

19 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Cam is still rusty, however. Many of his throws were high or off target. Thomas Davis picked off one of his passes pretty easily. More of a bad decision than a bad throw. Of course, this is too be expected for any QB catching up on reps. This makes Cam playing in the next preseason game so important. 

thats what ive been saying all along. Hell we could shut him down and have him not play until the saints game or something but its a problem Cam hasn't had any real game time in 7 months throwing to new receivers and CMC and in general testing that shoulder out in live competition against another team.  

If Cam goes into the reg season cold turkey with nothing in the realm of playing against other teams since shoulder surgery we could have a problem. If cam can't make these throws in practice how you expect him to make them in a normal game ?

13 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

have they confirmed he'll play in the dress rehearsal? Not too worried about cam but obviously we want him 100% asap. Its very nice we get the 9ers then bills to start the season off. Cam can get acclimated in those games before the real schedule starts

Probably won't know that for sure til Wednesday.

Hooefully his shoulder responds well to the stress they put on it today and (hopefully are able to) tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, Millioso7 said:

Man let's just cut Derek Anderson now.. he gives me that #ImawellpaidbackupvetQb&ijustdontgiveafuganymore vibe to him.. call me crazy..

I'd pie and beer this post 50 times if I could. Give me a backup hungry for a starting job, not this, "I'm just here for a check" and throwing dead ducks ish.

It's funny how quick our fan base turns on players. DA wasn't good against the Titans but he was good against the Texans. The entire offense was derailed because of the funchess fumble and the pick that DA threw was a great play by the linebacker reading off the back enough to Just get a hand on the pass. 

Anyone suggesting we cut DA after the Texans game would have been laughed at. Now it's Joe Webb time around here. 

28 minutes ago, Fright said:

I'd pie and beer this post 50 times if I could. Give me a backup hungry for a starting job, not this, "I'm just here for a check" and throwing dead ducks ish.

Agreed 100 percent. I hate how there are all these Anderson nut huggers. He's been so careless with the football and he's started to decline over the last 2 seasons. Anybody with a pair of working eyes can see that. Hell I would take Tom Savage over that guy. 

1 minute ago, Salisburysean98 said:

Agreed 100 percent. I hate how there are all these Anderson nut huggers. He's been so careless with the football and he's started to decline over the last 2 seasons. Anybody with a pair of working eyes can see that. Hell I would take Tom Savage over that guy. 

Tom Savage has looked pretty good actually.

but yeah, to your point, I'd take pretty much anyone over Derek Anderson.

Archived