• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Practice Update - Christian McCaffrey and Alex Armah

Jeremy Igo

14 hours ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

If they cut him, he may not even make it to the PS before another team snatches him up. Those 31 other teams all have access to the same video we do. I guarantee you Belichick would be interested.

The patriots just extended their FB of 5 years for another 2 years.

13 hours ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Some teams still use them. Either way, I wouldn't take the chance. Some other team might just want to make him a TE or an H-back.

And put him on their active roster while trying to change positions of a rookie who sees like 4 snaps a game in preseason? I don't find that likely.

I don't care what y'all say. I would not cut Armah. I believe he can help us this season too. I know Darrel Young is pretty good and has experience but he has already reached his ceiling too. Armah is not anywhere close to reaching his full potential yet and he is already making plays. And given the fact that we don't even need a FB all the time, it's easily possible to work him into the offense slowly without any drop-off in offensive production. Meanwhile, he can be a factor on ST's while he learns.

1 hour ago, csx said:

True but can't that be said of most everyone? 

Yes. That's why it's so hard to stash good players on the PS  without other teams taking them from you. As far as who scouted Armah, I don't remember exactly but I read somewhere that other teams were looking at him. I'm not even sure the other teams were named at all.

Gettleman mentioned he had campus visits from many teams, and was even brought in for a visit by "a couple of NFL teams" so it's safe to say he was on the radar. still, waivers during the 90->53 roster cutdown are insane, so it's not at all a sure thing that he'd be picked up.

that said, I'm guessing Armah's roster situation remains very much up in the air, and depends greatly on the development that he shows in the last 2 preseason games. what'll he get vs Pittsburgh, 60 snaps? they'll be eyeing his performance on special teams verrry closely.

17 hours ago, stbugs said:

Because cut down day is all at the end of preseason now, I think it will be way easier to keep guys on the PS. As people mentioned the other team has to get them on their 53 and they will have just been making a lot of tough calls. Also, there are going to be a ton of guys available not just a few that you can review after release. Based on the change instead of having 480 guys to review in early cut downs and 600ish guys at the last cut downs, all 1100ish players will be cut in one fell swoop the week before the first regular season games.

There will be the same number of guys available as always, it's just that they will all be available all at one time. The scouts still know who is who and will have already eliminated the guys who just don't belong in the league, which will be the vast majority of them anyway.

Archived