• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is SS Mike Adams a concern at this point?

Jeremy Igo

Its week 2 of the preseason and he's on a new team with a new scheme. Granted the missed tackle was bad and there isn't an excuse, but chemistry and understanding within the defense takes time to develop. They worked the miscommunication out on the sideline and it was a learning experience. Part of good defense is knowing each other and knowing where the other will be and what they will do in certain situations. That takes time and reps! Not hitting the panic button yet. 

Pretty sure TD admitted the Walker TD in the corner of the end zone was his fault. He got caught watching when Walker ran into his own man after he bumped him off his route. Adams gets some blame but not all of it. Also, I would expect someone who has spent 10+ years on the same team to have some growing pains with a new organization. I expect some bumps in the road but still expect big things from him this year.

EDIT: Here's the article talking about the play: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article168227802.html

Looks like there was some confusion on the play due to TD pushing Walker off his route. May have been no ones fault.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Adams may have had the worst game overall on the starting defensive unity against the Titans. 

The touchdown in the corner of the end zone was on him. 

His tackling in run support was rather Tre Boston'esque. 

giphy.gif

So.... Are you concerned about the SS position, and if so, do you think the Panthers look to upgrade once cuts happen?

Not concerned quite yet. On the missed tackle, it looks like he was tripped up by Mario. 

I'm not too worried about Adams right now. Let's see how he finishes the pre-season before we jump to too many conclusions. I do agree we need to find a solution to the depth at safety. 

There was a tweet a few days back about Shaq in his new LB/S hybrid role. I haven't been able to watch the games, has he been seeing time at safety? 

He looked "old and slow" on a ton of plays. What really stood out to me was on the first down gain by Tennessee before the Derrick Henry walk in TD. When he went to stop the run, he put is head down and pretty much lunged at whomever, tackling David Mayo instead. As far as this example goes, we got rid of Tre Boston for a reason. Yea he was a liability in coverage most of the time but at least he could blitz.

15 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

Adams is Quintin Mikell. Old vet band aid that won't cost much and isn't a risk to be the worst player ever.

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Forgot about that guy. Good comparison. 

Mikell was in a better situation...that front 4 was much better then, no? All Pro level Hardy, pre leg-whip CJ, Star, KK (though they were rookies)...also had guys like Dwan Edwards who were productive up front.

54 minutes ago, mjligon said:

Same could be said for Mike Mitchell when the Raiders let him walk, Roman Harper when the Saints let him walk.

Not sure why I'm arguing with you though it goes nowhere 

The raiders were pretty much rebuilding, and using Harper as an example doesn't strengthen your argument. There was a thread every week bitching about Harper's play.

1 minute ago, TheRed said:

Didn't the huddle collectively rejoice when we signed him in the offseason?

Yeah but I still think he can play at a high level. It was a handful of plays in a preseason game.

Course I will still think anyone can contribute until the harsh reality of them not being able to presents itself.

We HAVE to bring in some depth at that position when cuts begin.

Ironically enough, Pops was graded by PFF as an above average safety in 2016 with an 82.1 grade (ranked 21st).

It could take some time getting acustomed to the new corners he is playing with. Communication on the backend is key so hopefully these errors are just simply communication issues and not mental lapses.

I will say our depth is quite concerning. I'm fairly comfortable with Southward but anyone beyond that really doesn't belong on an active 53 man roster.

Archived