• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should Panthers Pass Defense Really Be Blamed Against The Titans?

Saca312

The Panthers went off to a pretty bad start, finding themselves on the wrong end of a double digit lead pretty fast. The run defense was spectacular, the pass not so much. So, to dissect just what happened, I take a look at every Titan's passing attempt on their first two drives.

Play 1 - 1st and 10. 15:00 remaining.

1.gif.793abf9312ffe8d068a91c9daa63c8d7.gif

Panthers in man coverage with base defense to start off. Mariota throws a picture perfect pass to receiver who was covered very tightly by Worley.

On the play above, there was nothing the Panthers coverage could've done. Worley was all over his man in a perfect position to wrap and take him out of the play. Mariota just made an even better pass and play to his receiver. Nothing to blame our defense on here.

Play 2 - Titans 1st and 10. 14:21 remaining.

2.gif.a998f02aa068ef637f0a6251a48357ec.gif

Panthers defense still in base defense. Mariota takes the snap and jumps off around the defense for a first down.

Again, nothing much you could've asked for our defense there. Edges simply aren't athletic enough to keep up with a scrambling Mariota. More blame goes on the personnel called on the field against this type of offense.

Play 3 - 1st and 10. 12:55 remaining

3.gif.019d0622374912211025d24749f97b1a.gif

Panthers in base defense against a spread Tennessee look. Playcall cover 2. Mariota connects with his receiver for an easy reception.

This play here goes on our coverage rather than our defenders. Once again, the Panthers are running base defense. Although it is preseason and Luke's not in, that doesn't excuse the fact that running base defense against this style offense isn't going to work out.

One thing I will knock on Worley is not gaining enough depth on this play. Otherwise, really tough to stop.

The Titans simply just spread and find themselves an opening in our coverage. Can't do much defensively in that personnel.

Play 4 - 1st and 10. 12:29 remaining.

4.gif.302106e8b26a1609d4c32453a40b7370.gif

Panthers still in base defense. Tennessee opts to dumpoff to RB for a small gain.

Good job by the Panthers for sniffing out the RB and stopping him while they can. Could work on harder tackling, but good nevertheless.

Play 5 - 2nd and 8. 11:51 remaining.

5.gif.6f9a6e0c79541898601d03cde0957587.gif

In case you didn't get the memo, Panthers are STILL in base defense. Considering it's preseason, it likely doesn't mean much, but still this is pretty much why we've been getting killed. Mariota on the rollout and throws to his designed outlet for a first down.

Once again, our defensive personnel simply can't keep up. Wilks calling base defense against a team that will beat you with these style plays. Titans O having their way against us.

Play 6 - 3rd and 14. 9:42 remaining.

6.gif.e2fb0c01b20bfd8030b5265146d3f789.gif

Panthers in base defense in zone against the Titans on a 3rd and long situation. Bradberry - being the beast he is - knocks the ball away like the man he is. 

Bradberry da GOAT. Ballhawk shutdown monster. Watch out NFL. Forces Titans to a field goal.

Play 7 - 2nd and 9. 8:38 remaining (after fumble or whatever turnover happened)

7.gif.2eede48e79e6c40ec5f2c8ab0c286b2f.gif

Mariota on a designed play against Panthers base defense once again. Throws out of bounds.

A designed play for Tennessee that didn't work out. Mariota throws out of bounds when he notices the play was sniffed out immediately.

Play 8 - 3rd and 9. 8:33 remaining.

8.gif.e32c5225c3705b6c5db4011840006c8f.gif

Panthers in base defense showing zone against the Titans. Mariota to Henry for the dumpoff and nice gain underneath the coverage.

Derrick Henry shows yet again his potential as Tennessee's runningback of the future. Lots of potential in the kid. Nothing much Panthers could've done in this situation.

Play 9 - 3rd and goal. 5:48 remaining.

9.gif.3fa03d5e0d2bda3a08299a87007e8acb.gif

Panthers in the endzone against the Titans offense. Mariota throws an easy TD pass to wide open receiver.

For those of you who want to blame Worley, guarding Walker was not his original assignment. Worley playing two trap, meaning he jumps on flat routes that develop & Walker not on his "to guard" list. Adams was Walkers assignment.

Essentially, this was a pure mismatch of Adams vs Walker and Adams proved to be too slow on the play. Easy touchdown.

Conclusion

Mainly the issues were with the playcalling and our offense giving their offense plenty of easy chances in their first few opening drives. I don't expect us to be in base defense when the regular season comes, and you can be sure our pass rush will be a lot better.

Worley was fine. Didn't see much that was on him, and he was absolutely not at fault on the Walker touchdown.

So, thoughts?

The Titans look like they might be solid this year. They had no answer for CMC and Cam and Luke didn't play. Also our Dline didn't put much pressure on Mariota. All in all it wasn't a terrible game but the coaches have plenty to show in film room.

Just now, Moorgan said:

The Titans look like they might be solid this year. They had no answer for CMC and Cam and Luke didn't play. Also our Dline didn't put much pressure on Mariota. All in all it wasn't a terrible game but the coaches have plenty to show in film room.

Yeah. Titans will be solid. Pressure not getting anywhere was disappointing, but really that's what is expected against one of the best o-lines in the league.

In fact, they're by far the toughest o-line we'll be facing all year. The schedule we're up against features a whole host of bad o-lines lol.

Looked to me like last week they wanted a look at the blitz packages and this week they wanted to see how the secondary would hold up under a 4 man rush. 

The objective in these games is not to win. The objective is to set the game up to gather information you need to make roster decisions. 

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Looked to me like last week they wanted a look at the blitz packages and this week they wanted to see how the secondary would hold up under a 4 man rush. 

The objective in these games is not to win. The objective is to set the game up to gather information you need to make roster decisions. 

Solid point. Hope coaches saw what they wanted.

Just now, top dawg said:

I'm not putting lipstick on a pig.

Play calling was a bit of a problem, but I think that the lack of execution was infinitely more responsible.

Lack of pass rush from our four was disheartening. Adams was also a disappointment, but I already compared him as our new Roman Harper so I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I'm not putting lipstick on a pig.

Play calling was a bit of a problem, but I think that the lack of execution was infinitely more responsible.

They go into these games with a list of plays they want film on, regardless of what the offense does. 

There is no real play calling. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

They go into these games with a list of plays they want film on, regardless of what the offense does. 

Explanation makes sense. Didn't make sense why we kept playing base against this Titans offense the whole time unless Wilks wants to review something and see how it happens.

5 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Explanation makes sense. Didn't make sense why we kept playing base against this Titans offense the whole time unless Wilks wants to review something and see how it happens.

If you have a bunch of guys you need to evaluate in the secondary what better way than make them cover their assignment for a long ass time and see whats what. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Oh, I agree. Just responding to the OP.  Missed tackles, confusion with assignments, and just generally not getting it done were the issues.

Pep looks like he'll make an impact. 

Archived