• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Preseason Game 2 Winners and Losers

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, rmoneyg35 said:

I didn't get to see the game... can anyone tell me why people are saying Armah is a winner? He didn't show up on the score sheet and I would hope someone blocking wouldn't put them on the winners list.

I mean it's not like he blew people up blocking and rammed himself in a touchdown.

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

I didn't look at the exact matchup just the play overall of the guy getting wide open.  I'm putting 99% of the blame on the staff like I noted of how this week has gone.  

Yea I didn't like that on Thursday  Rivera complained about mental errors and mistakes on offense then they go out and have 3 TOs that led o 21 points today. 

39 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Winners:

CMC

The entire starting OL

Short 

Armah

Star

CAP

Bradberry

Mayo

Butker

Webb

Losers:

Shaq

TD

CJ

...Hell most of the defense

Amini

DA

When are you going to "man up"?

Winner:

KB. Came up with a big time 3rd down catch which extended the drive leading to a touchdown.

Losers:

Funchess. Where should I begin?

Instead of continuing to double down on your stupidity why not just man up, admit you're wrong? 

3 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Can you point to a few examples? On TEN's first two drives, I didn't see Worley beat on anything. I'll show a few examples:

I'm sure the first play you'll bring up is the Walker touchdown.

9.gif.3fa03d5e0d2bda3a08299a87007e8acb.gif

First of all, Worley guarding Walker was not his original assignment. Worley is playing two trap, meaning he jumps on flat routes that develop & Walker not on his "to guard" list. Adams was Walkers assignment.

Essentially, this was a pure mismatch of Adams vs Walker and Adams proved to be too slow on the play. Easy touchdown. Worley not at fault because that was never his assignment.

1.gif.793abf9312ffe8d068a91c9daa63c8d7.gif

Panthers in man coverage with base defense to start off. Mariota throws a picture perfect pass to receiver who was covered very tightly by Worley.

On the play above, there was nothing the Panthers coverage could've done. Worley was all over his man in a perfect position to wrap and take him out of the play. Mariota just made an even better pass and play to his receiver. Nothing to blame our defense on here.

3.gif.019d0622374912211025d24749f97b1a.gif

Panthers in base defense against a spread Tennessee look. Playcall cover 2. Mariota connects with his receiver for an easy reception.

This play here goes on our coverage rather than our defenders. Once again, the Panthers are running base defense. Although it is preseason and Luke's not in, that doesn't excuse the fact that running base defense against this style offense isn't going to work out.

One thing I will knock on Worley is not gaining enough depth on this play in the back. But even so, Worley would've likely been unable to do anything about this even in perfect position. A very tough assignment.

The Titans simply just spread and find themselves an opening in our coverage. Can't do much defensively in that personnel.

I will sum up this bull s hit with one word.  Excuses.  Worley was awful today, per usual.  

3 hours ago, rmoneyg35 said:

I didn't get to see the game... can anyone tell me why people are saying Armah is a winner? He didn't show up on the score sheet and I would hope someone blocking wouldn't put them on the winners list.

also is it me or was our major problem this game miscommunication and major mistakes like rookie DE Hall going into the wrong gap allowing a huge run. Maybe it was just the game we needed to make our team realize we suck and need to get focused. Better now than in the regular season.

I haven't seen the game either but watched the highlights. Commentators called Eric Wallace TD but I *think* it was Armah and it was an impressive burst

Commentators also spoiled GOT plot for me on one play. Dammit.

WINNERS:
 - CMC
 - Armah
 - Joe Webb
 - Starting OL

LOSERS:
 - Ron Rivera
 - Steve Wilks
 - Derek Anderson
 - Devin Funchess

I'm not too worried about the defense after this game because it was clear they were just off in general. I put that on Rivera and Wilks. The poor practice this week should have been a sign that the team as a whole just wasn't 'on' for this game. I've noticed, for some reason, that this seems to be a trend under Rivera in 2nd preseason games. Preseason week 3 is usually a solid indicator of what we can expect from the team during the regular season.

I remain happy with the starting OL. Not only has Matt Kalil looked solid, but Tyler Larson looks like a real keeper at center and a potential long-term replacement for Ryan Kalil down the road.

I won't judge the offense TOO harshly because obviously Cam not being out there is a huge deal. Plus, we're obviously not tipping our hand in terms of how we plan to use CMC in the regular season. Judging from his play, that is a significant factor.

Defensively, we looked bad all around; starters and backups. Granted, Luke didn't play, but you would still like to see more from the starters. The pass rush didn't look awful, but the secondary seemed out of sorts all day. Missed tackles; blown assignments, and missed opportunities such as the INT that Charles Johnson could have had. I feel like we're a lot better than this on defense, so hopefully this was just a down game.

Alex Armah looks like he has real potential as more than just a blocking FB. I haven't heard much about his blocking in camp, but if it's even decent at this point, I'm not sure it'd be wise to cut him and try to add him to the practice squad.

Archived