• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can we be excited about CMC now?

Jeremy Igo

13 hours ago, Palmetto said:

I think CMC for now works better as the change of pace back

The opposing team prepares for stweart all week get pounded and then they are no match for the fast shifty back coming into the game

You mean a change of pace from an okay rush attack to a good one?

CMC is special.  We will missing opportunities if we just inset him on 3rd downs all season.  Flashback to Williams rookie year.  He hit home runs and people made the bogus arguement Foster doing diddly all game somehow allowed Williams to make plays. Williams was just a much better runner and it showed as a rookie and after. 

It is already apparent 22 is better than 28.  Now they should both work but 22 needs his fair share of early work too out of the backfield.  He hits holes and has better rare vision.

I am super excited. But one caution. CMC is going to force teams to gameplan for him like put a spy on him when he is in the backfield and shift the safety coverage to him when he splits out. He will be used quite a bit as a decoy as well to give other players favorable matchups as well. So as the season progresses I expect his numbers may actually decline while other players increase as a result. It will be good for the team but anger those who mistakenly think all we need to do is give him the ball on every play.

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

CMC is special.  We will missing opportunities if we just inset him on 3rd downs all season.  Flashback to Williams rookie year.  He hit home runs and people made the bogus arguement Foster doing diddly all game somehow allowed Williams to make plays. Williams was just a much better runner and it showed as a rookie and after. 

It is already apparent 22 is better than 28.  Now they should both work but 22 needs his fair share of early work too out of the backfield.  He hits holes and has better rare vision.

While I see what you are saying and agree that CMC deserves a lot of carries. I don't think it's fair to say Stewart is like Foster. Yes he is noticeably slower than CMC but we've only seen Stew in a handful of carries in two preseason games.

I was super impressed by CAP and from what I saw does make me believe he can spell Stewart. We just need the coaching staff to recognize when a dude needs touches. That said I'm not writing off 28 yet. He deserve more than that.

15 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I am super excited. But one caution. CMC is going to force teams to gameplan for him like put a spy on him when he is in the backfield and shift the safety coverage to him when he splits out. He will be used quite a bit as a decoy as well to give other players favorable matchups as well. So as the season progresses I expect his numbers may actually decline while other players increase as a result. It will be good for the team but anger those who mistakenly think all we need to do is give him the ball on every play.

very very good point.

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Such hyperbole

I doubt anyone wants to just hand the ball off to CMC and think that's an sound strategy. Here's a notion In order for teams to respect him as a decoy, you have to use him effectively first. 

52 minutes ago, Pantherxtreme said:

Such hyperbole

I doubt anyone wants to just hand the ball off to CMC and think that's an sound strategy. Here's a notion In order for teams to respect him as a decoy, you have to use him effectively first. 

Using him effectively is the key word.  Shula is the wildcard in all this.  My expectations are tempered a bit knowing the success of the former depends largely on the latter being competent enough to utilize him properly.

3 hours ago, panthers55 said:

When I hear this .. I think Greg Olsen is getting another notch on his 1K hat. 

3 hours ago, Pantherxtreme said:

Such hyperbole

Look at the Shula threads criticizing Him for not giving CMC more carries or putting him out a receiver the first 2 preseason games. What you call hyperbole is actually reality. And we are using him effectively. Coaches watch film and I think the word is already out. He is a mismatch nightmare and that is apparent from the first time he touches the ball.

6 hours ago, CRA said:

I see what you're saying but i don't want CMC rushing the ball 25 times just yet. Stewart can still be useful and can hopefully  tire out the defense making it easier for CMC to get yards rushing and receiving

Archived