• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Curtis Samuel Update - Practicing 2 days straight...

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

No reason to bring green bay into this...... hows he look compared to byrd/others? Was he known for his film study/football IQ?

Did an extensive study on Samuel before. I saw lots of things on film that warranted my opinion he's under the radar:

I think his hammy is probably good now, they are just slowly ramping him up to get him back into football shape.  Don't want a re-injury or worse, something new and long-term.  With that said, I expect we'll see him in team drills after this weekend.  If anything, he might get a handful of snaps against the Jags.

I would be more worried if he was going to miss the entire preseason, but since he will still have a few weeks to get caught up, I think we'll still see plenty of him during the regular season.  Certainly the injury put him behind, but he should be ready to contribute week 1.  Now, the timing issue, that's real, but since I also expect Cam back after the Titans game, they should be able to get some of their timing down (although it will probably be several games before they have it down completely).

We can also hope Samuel has made the most of his time on the sidelines with mental reps and film study.  He may be farther along in understanding his role than we give him credit for.  There's no simulation love reps in game and practice, but he's ramping up for that now.  Kids talented so I'm betting he can get it clickin

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I mentioned this in another Samuel thread that this season is the season to start slow with less worry. Of course, it would be great for him to be 100% impact week 1, but the difference in the schedule difficulty in the first half and the second half is big. I think we play a couple above .500 2016 teams in the first 7 and 7 in the last 9. 

Eh, I don't put much stock in this strength of schedule stuff. Think about it...how many other team's fans are looking at us as an easy win right now because of last year's  record? Things can change too damn fast in the NFL.

19 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Did an extensive study on Samuel before. I saw lots of things on film that warranted my opinion he's under the radar:

Thanks, now I believe Samuel will get no less than 1,800 yards and 17 TDs............ just bustin balls. I still didn't read anything about his football IQ and/or film study. I'm also thinking about renaming the hamstring to Samuel. I hope he can somehow overcome this chronic issue, catch up in the playbook/timing with teammates to become a weapon Carolina deeply needs.

Say what you want, but Samuel on the sidelines while Byrd puts up performance after performance in drills and in the first preseason game has to be turning up the heat on his starting depth chart expectations. I couldn't in good conscience put Samuel ahead of Byrd right now on draft position alone and they're basically competing for a similar role. If injuries slow Samuel for the entire preseason, he'll have to climb up the chart during the season which can be a tall task. 

46 minutes ago, Vagrant said:

Say what you want, but Samuel on the sidelines while Byrd puts up performance after performance in drills and in the first preseason game has to be turning up the heat on his starting depth chart expectations. I couldn't in good conscience put Samuel ahead of Byrd right now on draft position alone and they're basically competing for a similar role. If injuries slow Samuel for the entire preseason, he'll have to climb up the chart during the season which can be a tall task. 

I think Samuel is intended to play slot and Byrd on the outside. But who knows..

Archived