• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Highest scoring offenses over the past two seasons...

Jeremy Igo

31 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

I'm surprised the Cardinals scored so much. Then again I don't watch alot of their games so..  With David Johson having emerged and if Palmer stays healthy, I think they will probably bounce back this season along with us. Although they probably don't want to see us in the playoffs again lol. 

Palmer probably has lingering PTSD from what our defense did to him in the last playoff game.

The way things are shaping up, given 4 solid Franchise QBs with significant offensive firepower in the NFC South, it will be the team with the best Defense who wins the division.

My bets are on the Panthers.  Over the past 4 seasons, our defense has significantly out-performed our division rivals' defenses.

Division Defense Rankings:

Defense ranked by:

CAR                 Points Allowed / Yards Allowed

2016                  26  /  21

2015                  6  /  6  best D in division / won division

2014                 21  / 10  best D in division / won division

2013                 2  /  2  best D in division / won division

4 year average defensive rank:  13.75 / 9.75

ATL

2016:  27  / 25

2015:  14  /  16

2014:  27  / 32

2013:  27  / 27

4 year average defensive rank:  23.75 / 25

NO:

2016:  31 / 27

2015:  32 / 31

2014:  28 / 31

2013:  4 /  4

4 year average defensive rank:  24 / 23

TB:

2016:  15 / 23   Best D in  division

2015:  26 / 10

2014:  25 / 25

2013:  21 / 17

4 year average defensive rank:  21.75 / 18.75

I see 2015 as our potential when folks are healthy. 2014 and 2016 were the abberations where Cam was limited and hurt much of those seasons. For us to lead the league in points with Cam hurting for the last 6 games of 2016 speaks to how good the offense is despite injuries to key people like Cam. 2017 is going to be 2015 on steroids.

2 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

This is true, and people seem to gloss over or ignore.  Those points scored in 2015 include numerous defensive td's and several more occasions where the defense gave the offense a short path to score.    We were league leaders in int's in 2015, but dropped some last year.  Its less about what particular play is called, and more execution or lackthereof.  Force turnovers, and hold onto the ball better, and you score more.  Fail to do so, and you score less.  Its football 101.   

Nobody glosses the fact that a good defense helps your offense. That is why football is considered a real team sport. And the Panthers have been built around defense not offense.  The defense gets helped as well with a good offense that controls the clock, flips the field whether they score or not, and gives the defense the lead and the knowledge that if the defense breaks down, the offense will score again.

Points scored have very little to do with play calling for the Panthers. Just because Cam scrambles for 20 yards running for his life because a long developing play was called on 3rd and 1, on paper makes the play look genius but when in fact it was simply talent overcoming poor coaching.

That IS the Carolina Panthers since Shula has been here.

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Nobody glosses the fact that a good defense helps your offense. That is why football is considered a real team sport. And the Panthers have been built around defense not offense.  The defense gets helped as well with a good offense that controls the clock, flips the field whether they score or not, and gives the defense the lead and the knowledge that if the defense breaks down, the offense will score again.

Many posters do gloss over it, both here and on other boards.  When discussing the lack of offensive production last year vs 2015, almost no one mentions the dramatic turn around in turnover differential.  Of course, there are factors that caused those things.  Poor oline play lead to more turnovers for us, and poor secondary play caused us to force fewer.  But imo, turnovers, personnel losses due to injuries, cuts, and retirements were the key factors in the downward spiral of our offense last year.

3 hours ago, KB_fan said:

????

Are you talking 2015 or 2016?

I was using the total points for 2015 and 2016 combined which was the original post. I was pointing out that Cam wasn't 100% for that whole period yet we still in the top 5. Don't know why I thought we were number 1. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

5 hours ago, Lumps said:

Points scored have very little to do with play calling for the Panthers. Just because Cam scrambles for 20 yards running for his life because a long developing play was called on 3rd and 1, on paper makes the play look genius but when in fact it was simply talent overcoming poor coaching.

That IS the Carolina Panthers since Shula has been here.

I love it. If the offense sucks it is all Shula"s fault. If it is great it is all Cam fault. Great huddle logic... .

5 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Many posters do gloss over it, both here and on other boards.  When discussing the lack of offensive production last year vs 2015, almost no one mentions the dramatic turn around in turnover differential.  Of course, there are factors that caused those things.  Poor oline play lead to more turnovers for us, and poor secondary play caused us to force fewer.  But imo, turnovers, personnel losses due to injuries, cuts, and retirements were the key factors in the downward spiral of our offense last year.

But if you look at the offense up until the bye before all the injuries decimated us (through week 6), we were averaging almost 28 points a game. That isn't a big drop off from 2015 and yet the defense was awful. Suggests that maybe the offense can be effective with or without a great defense creating turnovers.

Archived