• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This makes my head hurt...

Jeremy Igo

Was it just me, or was Gano's Kick offs MUCH better than Butker's kick offs in the preseason game on Weds?

I know we're talking actual points on the board with the FG's and PAT's... But, the kick offs are kinda a big deal for field position.

Just tossing that in there.

5 minutes ago, PanthersAlv said:

Was it just me, or was Gano's Kick offs MUCH better than Butker's kick offs in the preseason game on Weds?

I know we're talking actual points on the board with the FG's and PAT's... But, the kick offs are kinda a big deal for field position.

Yeah I really can't remember every kickoff, but I would pay it no never mind.  Butker had 54 of his 73 kickoffs go for touchbacks so he can do it if/when he wants.  He's 6'4 and generates more torque with his leg, which is simply stronger than Gano's.  The question on kickoffs is do we WANT to kickoff through the endzone?  Depends on the situation I guess, but usually the pooch inside the 10, have coverage make the tackle before the 25, is the smarter play in the every inch counts NFL.

PS-Gano must go

39 minutes ago, PanthersAlv said:

Gano's ability for touchbacks is what's keeping him here. I'm not sure if Butker is a true upgrade if you factor in that part of the kicking game.

4 hours ago, TheRed said:

Also, the "Hurney gave Mare 4 years 12 million" is cracking me the hell up right now while I'm looking at Gano's contract on spotrac. Guess how much it is? 4 years 12.4 million.

Ugh, this franchise.

The difference is one was years ago, before the HUGE increase in salary cap. Just like the recent freeman contract, 5 years 41, well back in 2011 herniay signed williams to a 5 year 43.  Ugh, this franchise/GM

16 minutes ago, PanthersAlv said:

That's what I was thinking. because we know they won't keep 3 kickers.

But teams start off on the 25 now instead of the 20 with touchbacks, I believe hasn't changed. It doesn't warrant the money and a roster spot, sorry.

23 hours ago, TheRed said:

Also, the "Hurney gave Mare 4 years 12 million" is cracking me the hell up right now while I'm looking at Gano's contract on spotrac. Guess how much it is? 4 years 12.4 million.

Ugh, this franchise.

To be fair, and I'm not backing DG on this one, but Mare was a FA correct?  I don't think it was an extension, but my memory could be a little off.

Gano was given a 4 year deal after an awfully good season...especially from 50+, where he went 6/6.  The next year was worse, and the year after that.  Now it's time for some new blood.

8 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

To be fair, and I'm not backing DG on this one, but Mare was a FA correct?  I don't think it was an extension, but my memory could be a little off.

Gano was given a 4 year deal after an awfully good season...especially from 50+, where he went 6/6.  The next year was worse, and the year after that.  Now it's time for some new blood.

I would have to strongly disagree about Gano ever being "awfully good". He has been inconsistent at best his entire career. Even when he looked somewhat decent he would randomly whiff on extra points. We knew what we had in him all along and we still made him one of the highest paid kickers. If the Mare contract was a bad move, the Gano contract was even worse because we knew what we were getting. Either way, there needs be to a competition for the position, because we can't afford to lose another crucial couple of games due to our kicker.

14 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I would have to strongly disagree about Gano ever being "awfully good". He has been inconsistent at best his entire career. Even when he looked somewhat decent he would randomly whiff on extra points. We knew what we had in him all along and we still made him one of the highest paid kickers. If the Mare contract was a bad move, the Gano contract was even worse because we knew what we were getting. Either way, there needs be to a competition for the position, because we can't afford to lose another crucial couple of games due to our kicker.

You and I look at this very differently I guess.  We had absolutely no clue what we were getting from Mare as he had not been in our locker room.

In addition, Gano did have a good season in 14, that's why we signed him....although overpaying.  Also the salary cap was about 13M higher then when Hurney signed Mare.

Also, and I may be misremembering again, but didn't Mare not want to do kickoffs?

Archived