• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Damiere Byrd back at it...

Jeremy Igo

As I've said before in regards to preseason and TC heroes...  they usually a) can't sustain a high level of play and as a result b) come crashing back down to earth.  Byrd has been a slow build, but it feels like he has ascended to and locked into this level of play.  Watching him, there is a clear difference from his first preseason until now.  It's not a fluke.

And I even thought back to so many other TC/PS heroes we've had in the past in weighing the significance of Byrd's performance Wednesday night, and it makes it even more evident how real his effort is/was...  Jason Carter, Tate Biddle, Ryne Robinson, Trent Guy, etc...  none of them had a single game like Byrd's the other night, no matter how hard people tried to make them be that sensational story (and it could have been even better of a night had Webb not blown that one deep pass over the middle lol).

56 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

A very good point made here:

Notice on his second touchdown he gets a ton of separation going horizontally:

598e42740c747_DamiereByrd4.gif.b4aac4feaef9db6f9c18289749c2f071.gif

That's what you want to see. Not just separation going vertical and down deep, but the ability to go horizontal and separate from corners. 

That allows you to be a vital intermediate threat and shows quickness around the field. Now, I don't know how he'll do in the 0-5 yard area, but he does show good stuff. 

Which is why I think he's different from both Ginn and Philly. He's got more short area suddenness. 

I like the way he snatches the ball and he's making contested catches. He has the speed and quickness to beat anyone so it'll all come down to route running. 

2 hours ago, Saca312 said:

A very good point made here:

Notice on his second touchdown he gets a ton of separation going horizontally:

598e42740c747_DamiereByrd4.gif.b4aac4feaef9db6f9c18289749c2f071.gif

That's what you want to see. Not just separation going vertical and down deep, but the ability to go horizontal and separate from corners. 

That allows you to be a vital intermediate threat and shows quickness around the field. Now, I don't know how he'll do in the 0-5 yard area, but he does show good stuff. 

Moton in that GIF just looks like he is toying with the guy. 

3 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Could Coleman be a concern?

He is what he's always been - an athletically-average safety with a great work ethic and strong ball skills. He's not a great tackler and excels when he can play center field but man coverage is not his game.

9 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Moton in that GIF just looks like he is toying with the guy. 

I honestly don't see much in that picture that I don't like. That was an impressive throw by Webb as well. He kept 51 from coming back to the right for a possible pick using only his eyes pretty much. He looks to the left until just before he throws it through the open middle for the TD. If he can keep doing more of this and less of that terrible throw at the end of the half he may get promoted to our 2nd QB next season should they decide to cut Anderson loose.

10 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Byrd has been a slow build, but it feels like he has ascended to and locked into this level of play.  Watching him, there is a clear difference from his first preseason until now.  It's not a fluke.

Yes, I'm thinking the same, and so hopeful that we're finally seeing some development of our young WRs.  Seeing KB and Funch kind of stuck and letting Philly walk had me very pessimistic. But Byrd's obvious growth as a player finally bodes well.

Keep in mind we have a new WR coach. The coach is the  first person to make the argument for who he want's his receivers to be. I'm not suggesting anything about who is right or what is right but it's a different person and this changes the dynamic just the same as when you get a new manager.

Archived