• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should we pump the breaks on the Byrd enthusiasm just a bit?

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

But... should we have any caution in our unbridled optimism? Or shall we instead throw that same caution to the wind

But unbridled optimism is so much fun after a glum 6-10 season (though I confess it's gotten a lot less painful to think of that given it netted us picks like CMC, Samuel, and Moton).

And besides, the Byrd flying TD celebration is so cool...

Rooting hard for Byrd to keep soaring

At the very least I hope Byrd continues to shine and has a few more receiving touchdowns deep. 

That alone will force defenses to worry about him stretching the field. It won't matter if he catches the ball or not. The fact that San Fran will have to pay attention to Byrd helps a great deal. 

2 hours ago, ShutDwn said:

he does play I think he'll get 1-2 targets a game on average. No matter where he was drafted or how many passes he caught he is a threat the defense can't forget.

Agree. I think he has excellent chance to make the team AND play as a returner and deep threat.  Exciting prospect to think about.

I'm honestly just thinking three years ago our receivers were -

KB, Cotchery, Avant, Brow, Bersin

vs

KB, Funchess (who IMO is good), Byrd, Samuel, Shepard, McCaffrey

If anything I'm excited for packages that put Samuel in the slot, Byrd to one side, KB to another, Olsen end of the line and McCaffrey in the back-field with the option to motion to empty. So much more potential for route separation and RAC. 

I still believe Funchess and KB should spell each other in the 3 receiver looks so that we can keep the threat of speed all over the field and we can go twin towers inside the 20's. 

8 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

And besides, the Byrd flying TD celebration is do cool...

Rooting hard for Byrd to keep soaring

I am a yuuuuuge fan of the Bird flying TD celebration. Definition wanna see more of it. Had no idea he had that much swag. 

5 hours ago, Fright said:

Cam rarely looks beyond his first 2-3 reads, so he won't get many looks from Cam's way and I don't see Shula designing anything just for Byrd.

He can ball, but he's not going to be producing much if at all.

Huh lol are you watching a different QB?

2 hours ago, UpstatePanther said:

Talk about needing to pump the brakes. If we are talking camp performance, then Funchess has been making good plays more consistently than Byrd. Add to that the fact that Funch is much more versatile and it's just not fair to Funch to say Byrd is better than him.

in regards to OP, I'm not getting too hype yet. I did that with Byrd last year, going so far as to keep track of his stats in my signature. He never got the chance to rack up any stats :( I love the kid and think he can play a key role in our offense going forward. I think he is showing he deserves the chance. But I want to keep seeing it for the rest of the preseason. He needs to show up in every game. Even then, I'm not confident that the OC knows the best way to incorporate Byrd into the offense. I guess he did with Ginn, but then again he eats crayons all the damn time with other things so trust, I do not.

Lol  the notion that Funchess is versatile 

1 hour ago, TheWiz said:

I am a yuuuuuge fan of the Bird flying TD celebration. Definition wanna see more of it. Had no idea he had that much swag. 

Same here my friend. Same here.

Give him time with the ones and free the Byrd

He have the "it" factor and the smith like attitude 

4 hours ago, Navy_football said:

Not foolish to be optimistic. Byrd is a deep threat, probably the fastest WR, and with more reliable hands than Ginn. Say what you want, but Cam has one of the strongest arms in the league and he likes to take shots downfield. 

I was going to say almost exactly the same thing in regards to Cam's deep arm. 

Now I do have guarded optimism due to how Rivera and company have set the WR position group in the past. They seem to prefer age over upside a little too much for my liking, but there may be a change in the air this preseason. If Byrd can get on the field, I believe he will be our primary speed option. As such, he will get real opportunities. Cam excels at throwing deep, and I suspect Byrd's forte is going deep. So strength meets strength!

I said it yesterday. Perhaps Byrd can be our speedy assassin, much like Taylor Gabriel is for the Falcons. 

Of course Curtis Samuel is going to eventually come into play...

Byrd is my guy and I've been pulling for him for awhile.  I absolutely loved what he did Wed night, however, yes we should temper our excitement just because we need to see him with the ones and his rapport with Ace Boogie.

Archived