• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should we pump the breaks on the Byrd enthusiasm just a bit?

Jeremy Igo

He needs to see more time with the ones and get more chances. Last year, he's showed a lot in the Titans game as well, but Derek Anderson literally left 100+ yards on the field from Byrd because of his inaccuracy. 

If he starts playing more with the ones and he shows up, expect a big role for him. 

Which other WR should scare a safety deep? Shepard?

not saying he'll get all of Ginn's targets if he played but the burner WR is a vital piece to keeping the defense stretched vertically. It really helps his odds when Cam loves to go deep, too. 

If he does play I think he'll get 1-2 targets a game on average. No matter where he was drafted or how many passes he caught he is a threat the defense can't forget.

Shepard is the better version of Philly, good speed but not the respect me type speed. He runs awesome routes that leaves DBs behind.

Byrd has that Ginn Speed and the attitude of Smitty imo. He has a chip. Plus his route running has transformed him to a new level. Give him some 1st team reps. Time to burn teams with someone who can actually catch.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Listen, I am just as excited as anyone about his prospects. I think he could end up contributing this year. 

But... should we have any caution in our unbridled optimism? Or shall we instead throw that same caution to the wind and rock out with out cocks out? 

I am on the fence here. Let me know. 

You tell us. What's he look like everyday in camp?Does he seem to be involved in their gameplan, making plays everyday, is he running correct routes? Someone always gets crowned based on a meaningless preseason game without those people seeing him every day in camp. 

If he keeps it up, no.  We need a deep threat.  Best believe Byrd is raising eyebrows right now.  If he can continue this through the rest of the pre-season, especially if he can find success at PR, then I'd be pretty hyped about the regular season.

50 minutes ago, sanjay_rajput said:

Better than Funchess 

Talk about needing to pump the brakes. If we are talking camp performance, then Funchess has been making good plays more consistently than Byrd. Add to that the fact that Funch is much more versatile and it's just not fair to Funch to say Byrd is better than him.

in regards to OP, I'm not getting too hype yet. I did that with Byrd last year, going so far as to keep track of his stats in my signature. He never got the chance to rack up any stats :( I love the kid and think he can play a key role in our offense going forward. I think he is showing he deserves the chance. But I want to keep seeing it for the rest of the preseason. He needs to show up in every game. Even then, I'm not confident that the OC knows the best way to incorporate Byrd into the offense. I guess he did with Ginn, but then again he eats crayons all the damn time with other things so trust, I do not.

He played pretty well at the college level with USC and it looks like it may have translated over to the NFL, but time will tell. That was just a preseason game. He wasn't going up against 1st stringers, so if he gets into a reg season game and gets a chance to make a play and does, then I say no, amp up the enthusiasm! GO COCKS!!!

Archived