• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers vs Texans - Will Christian McCaffrey play tonight?

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, CRA said:

I don't want his first NFL live action to only be a handful limited reps against the starting Texans front.  

McCaffrey is a beast but the dude is gonna have to get some real work in this preseason.  Can't try to protect a rookie like he is a vet.  He needs speed reps and conditioning at this level. 

I hope to see reps with the starters in the first and then get reps after they leave...and see him on punts. 

In Ron's interview yesterday he stated tonight they were going to see what they have in the backups and the starters were getting very little playing time.  Is CMC a starter or backup?  I guess we will see.

19 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

In Ron's interview yesterday he stated tonight they were going to see what they have in the backups and the starters were getting very little playing time.  Is CMC a starter or backup?  I guess we will see.

CMC is a rookie.  Cam was essentially the starter in reality from day 1.....he needed game speed reps and lots of them.  CMC does too.  He also needs the conditioning of being hit at this level. 

Call him a co-starter or Stewart's backup...I don't think it matters.  Rivera shouldn't treat him as a vet starter. 

I also don't feel CMC going with the ones gives him a lot of opportunity.  I don't have a lot of confidence DA running the ones for a few snaps in preseason game 1 vs a stout Tex D....will result in much.   D is always ahead of an O and we will be running a backup QB to begin with

55 minutes ago, Jackofalltrades said:

I'd like to see CMC do a few basic things. Run up the guy, pass protection, dump off pass, etc. 

same here. I actually want to see him as the main back for the entire first half of the game, as this is very valuable experience and reps against one of the best defenses from last year. I particularly want to see how he runs in between the tackles, and the other things you mentioned. We all know he can break defenders down in one on ones but I want him to see him deal with the confusion and clutter of two nfl caliber lines clashing  and see if he can weave through.  

I'm guessing Stew isn't playing . Cams out and we might as well try our damn hardest to try to see stew healthy through an entire season. 

He really shouldn't be getting vet or starter treatment at all. Even if he's a top 10 overall pick, he's still a lightweight rookie RB that needs all the live action reps he can get before he plays in a game that actually counts.  He also missed all that time when he wasn't allowed to practice with the team too. I'm hoping Rivera won't be ultra conservative and trot him out there for only the first drive and proceed to barely play him at all in the pre season. 

25 minutes ago, CRA said:

CMC is a rookie.  Cam was essentially the starter in reality from day 1.....he needed game speed reps and lots of them.  CMC does too.  He also needs the conditioning of being hit at this level. 

Call him a co-starter or Stewart's backup...I don't think it matters.  Rivera shouldn't treat him as a vet starter. 

I also don't feel CMC going with the ones gives him a lot of opportunity.  I don't have a lot of confidence DA running the ones for a few snaps in preseason game 1 vs a stout Tex D....will result in much.   D is always ahead of an O and we will be running a backup QB to begin with

I'm not arguing with you on the fact he needed reps, I'm just going by what Ron said.

Archived