• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Taylor Moton - Mr Versatile

Jeremy Igo

Moton spent time today at starting left guard next to Kalil in team drills. 

So, I have seen him at right tackle, right guard, left guard, left tackle. 

Seems like this kid is really talented and the Panthers are trying to figure out a way for him to be used as much as possible. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Moton spent time today at starting left guard next to Kalil in team drills. 

So, I have seen him at right tackle, right guard, left guard, left tackle. 

Seems like this kid is really talented and the Panthers are trying to figure out a way for him to be used as much as possible. 

it's early but which position(s) did he look the most natural at?

Am I he only one who would like to see a small school rookie OL simply focus on one position? It's hard enough to transition to the NFL as it is. Coming from a small school makes that transition even tougher, especially in the trenches. Making that transition from a small school while also trying to learn multiple positions simply seems like too much to ask of the guy.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Am I he only one who would like to see a small school rookie OL simply focus on one position? It's hard enough to transition to the NFL as it is. Coming from a small school makes that transition even tougher, especially in the trenches. Making that transition from a small school while also trying to learn multiple positions simply seems like too much to ask of the guy.

Yeah, but if he's not going to start, he needs to know multiple positions. All the back ups do that. Besides, this guy is as smart as they come and he handled some pretty darn good competition in college.

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Western Michigan was a good football team last year and they played a solid schedule.  Besides, James Bradberry played great ball last year by any rookie standard and he went to Samford.

5 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Western Michigan was a good football team last year and they played a solid schedule.  Besides, James Bradberry played great ball last year by any rookie standard and he went to Samford.

Does every small school rookie have a difficult transition? No, of course not. But it's a HUGE difference in competition, especially in the trenches. Zone CB isn't OL.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

They were 7-6 overall and only 4-4 in the MAC conference. They played one power 5 conference team and got beat 61-21.

Does every small school rookie have a difficult transition? No, of course not. But it's a HUGE difference in competition, especially in the trenches. Zone CB isn't OL.

Listen the guy was one of the best guards in the draft.  He was a projected 2nd round guard.  We didn't reach for him.  He's smart, talented, he's a giant, and it's training camp....let the coaches make the decision.

5 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Listen the guy was one of the best guards in the draft.  He was a projected 2nd round guard.  We didn't reach for him.  He's smart, talented, he's a giant, and it's training camp....let the coaches make the decision.

I never said we reached on him.

Meanwhile, our coaching staff is evidently still trying to figure out how to properly use our 2015 1st round pick.

42 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I feel the same, in the past we've valued versatility on the Oline so much I wish we would focused on getting players on the Oline set at one spot. 

My bet is that they know he will be second string going into the season. They'll give him a run at each of the line positions (especially through pre-season games) and where he shines, they will make that his given position and begin serious work with him there.

We've got questions at both tackle positions, long-term issues at LG possibly and even a chance that we need a good starting center if R. Kalil gets injured again. Alternatively, having a new version of Jeff Hangartner on the team wouldn't hurt at all.

Archived