• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This Defense.... whoa buddy

Jeremy Igo

One thing that might have been missed by many was that at one point, both of our starting CBs were off the field and receiving IVs in the locker room. BOTH starting CBs off the field for a series or so... and a reasonably experienced QB with fair to middling receivers couldn't prey on us.

We may have more depth in the backfield than we thought. It also says a lot for our front seven being able to turn up the heat during those times.

I thought the front 7 played great. Bradberry played pretty well. Worley was up and down. A few good plays and few meh. Coleman was hard hitting but the Godwin drop was exactly what we all feared. Godwin looked like lightning compared to Coleman on that play (man he's fast) but the ball was off. Adams didn't seem to do much in my opinion. But it's hard to see what Safeties are doing most of the time.

Peppers played less than I thought he would and Horton had a very nice game. Luke is so awesome. I'm very happy with how the defense played.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Main thing that came out of yesterday for me is I think Wilks might be better for Shaq Thompson than McDermott was.

I just read on the Panthers website that yesterday Shaq had the second sack of his career on yesterday. I found that to be kinda mind boggling. With his speed he could be a double digit sack guy and really help us with edge pressure. He could be our version of Vic Beasley who had 15.5 sacks last year. 

1 hour ago, Moorgan said:

I thought the front 7 played great. Bradberry played pretty well. Worley was up and down. A few good plays and few meh. Coleman was hard hitting but the Godwin drop was exactly what we all feared. Godwin looked like lightning compared to Coleman on that play (man he's fast) but the ball was off. Adams didn't seem to do much in my opinion. But it's hard to see what Safeties are doing most of the time.

Peppers played less than I thought he would and Horton had a very nice game. Luke is so awesome. I'm very happy with how the defense played.

I think that we will see Pep in limited action unless we need him...I want him healthy and ready to roll in December...not Sept.

3 hours ago, CarolinaJami' said:

I just read on the Panthers website that yesterday Shaq had the second sack of his career on yesterday. I found that to be kinda mind boggling. With his speed he could be a double digit sack guy and really help us with edge pressure. He could be our version of Vic Beasley who had 15.5 sacks last year. 

Depends on where Shaq plays and what his responsibilities are. Under McDermott the Will backer is in coverage and the Sam blitz most times. Last year Davis played mostly Sam backer. Not sure yet what Wilkes will favor.

16 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I thought Worley played well yesterday. He almost got himself a pick six.

Yeah, I was fine with Worley's play yesterday. The play where he got beat and gave up a catch while holding was the only real negative play from him that I recall from yesterday. Meanwhile, Bradberry should've been beat for a long TD if Goodwin didn't pull a Ginn and drop he ball and he got away with a blatant hold across the middle later in the game.

On 8/6/2017 at 8:01 PM, Nails said:

All the more reason CMC should be our return man, absolutely no questions asked-to make things happen and turn the tide of games.

I hate having him back there. They call WAY too many penalties for it to be worth the risk IMO. There was one he could have broke a TD on, but it wouldn't have mattered. FLAG! FLAG! FLAG!!!!!

The secondary in general still scares me.  The 49er receivers got behind our corners a little bit.  Had they had a better QB, we would have seen some long touchdowns.  Now, I love the confidence and ability I've seen from Bradberry, but I'm still not feeling Worley.  He's serviceable with potential, but if we can go out and get another corner in free agency next year to play with Bradberry, I would go that route.  Particularly if that corner is named Trumaine Johnson.

Damn @Jeremy Igo this thread makes you look like a genius. The D is crazy good and the offense is innefective

On 8/6/2017 at 7:31 PM, Jeremy Igo said:

I will go on record right now and say this defense will absolutely be ranked top 3 this year overall. When the starting unit is out there, there really are no weaknesses. Sure, some positions are better than others, but none are a concern really. 

If they can stay healthy, I feel like we all are going to witness something truly special this year. 

carolina panthers-4.jpg

On 8/6/2017 at 7:50 PM, Jeremy Igo said:

I'm not convinced it will be effective. Time will tell. 

Archived