• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This Defense.... whoa buddy

Jeremy Igo

59 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I will go on record right now and say this defense will absolutely be ranked top 3 this year overall. When the starting unit is out there, there really are no weaknesses. Sure, some positions are better than others, but none are a concern really. 

If they can stay healthy, I feel like we all are going to witness something truly special this year. 

I agree It feels like this is going to be the most balanced team Panthers have going into the season. A better version of 2015 team where opponents can key on an area to attack. 

Top 5 Offense

Top 5 Defense 

24 minutes ago, Jase said:

Color me skeptical that we'll be able to generate a consistent pass rush. If you're not getting pass rush, things can fall apart pretty quickly, no matter how talented the back 7 may be.

The interior pass rush will be the best in the league, and CJ, Pep and Addison should be good enough on the outside along with LB and secondary blitzes from Wilks' more aggressive style to get the ball out fast enough for the secondary to take advantage.

11 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

The interior pass rush will be the best in the league, and CJ, Pep and Addison should be good enough on the outside along with LB and secondary blitzes from Wilks' more aggressive style to get the ball out fast enough for the secondary to take advantage.

He's more aggressive than McDermott?

There is a lot riding on Cam's shoulder... and Shepherd.  We need both of those, and if we have them then it could be a really amazing season.  Take one or both of those out of the equation and it could be a struggle.  Praying things work out for everyone involved..... including our new LT.

Lots of question marks.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I'm not convinced it will be effective. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Won't matter if the offense can't sustain drives to give the D a rest.  

Unless the defense just wants to feast on turnovers again....that'd be cool, too. 

I can't wait until the season starts so that we can dispel comments like this. I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but there are too many reasons to believe in this offense right now. I don't think the vanilla we've seen so far is any indication whatsoever and I doubt any of the preseason games will give us much insight. This offense is talented. Period. They will succeed. Perhaps (probably) in spite of our OC. 

Start with our run game. Wanna load the box to stop Stewie? Okay. We'll pitch to CMC out wide, we'll run Samuel on a sweep, or maybe we'll run Cam in an option. That's three options right there just in the running game. 

Maybe the defense is starting to have some success against the run (with all those options idk how, but hypothetically). We've got our go-to in Thor. Okay maybe they have a spy on him, but that would hurt their chance against the running game. But alright, a spy on Greg and loading the box. That leaves Benjamin, Funchess (who's been having a great camp and has been getting ALOT of reps), Shepard (who catches nearly every ball thrown to him in space and gets YAC), Samuel (when he's healthy), and either burner-Byrd or clutch-Bersin. 

Its just too much to defend. Cam will have so many options on each play the defense's heads will spin.

sure. We are seeing vanilla right now. And maybe Shula will do what Shula does. Hell, maybe even our OL will only give Cam 3 seconds per play. But I daresay that 3 seconds will be enough in this offense. Someone will be open.

believe guys. I'll eat my crow when the time is right, if it ever comes. But this offense has too much talent to not succeed.

Archived