• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shula, you sand bagging son of a bitch you

Jeremy Igo

After much reflection, meditation, and deliberation I have decided that Shula is not showing 87% of the Carolina Panthers new offense. 

The buzz around training camp is how boring the offense has looked. No energy, no excitement. Much of it has to do with Cam sitting out but it was that way for most of the time he was in. 

The Panthers added exciting play makers. So what gives. 

There are two possibilities. Shula is sandbagging all of the excitement and will spring it on the 49ers in week on like a ravenous wolf ripping his prey to shreds. 

Or... the offense will just be more of the same. 

My heart can't handle the latter. So... Mike Shula you sandbagging son of a bitch you. 

The offense should be the same as last year, but with a bunch of new plays that leverage our new offensive toys.  One of them has been out, and the other probably doesn't need as much preparation as a typical rookie to be effective in plays that haven't been practiced 100 times.  But our offense doesn't need a lot to really make it look great--just better protection and WRs that can gain separation.

I expect us to look a lot more like 2015 than 2016, but we'll still be a deep ball offense. The biggest difference will be in the safety valves, where instead of Tolbert getting smacked a yard or two before the first down marker we'll see CMC and Samuels turning bigger gains into first downs. That's also going to open up the long game more, and we still have plenty of power in short yardage.  

You shouldn't worry too much about not showing off what's possible.  This season is going to be like 2011, where Cam came out after an unimpressive preseason and lit up the Cardinals for 422 yards and 2TDs, with a rushing TD thrown in for good measure.

i hope he shows a lot more when the season actually starts, but i don't want him laying all his cards on the table from week 1, either.

one of the things i think i remembered bronco defensive people saying was that they didn't see anything different in the superbowl. i don't want that to be the case again.

I think this season is even more vanilla than previous season.  Why give teams even a thought of how to play us.  

CMC and Samuel (providing he gets well) will open so many of our other weapons.   

If this is our offense for the whole season and Rivera doesn't can him after.  RR and the whole damn staff need to go.

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

So... 6 second routes with a questionable offensive line for Cam to get killed behind? 

giphy.gif

Do the Panthers hire consultants that can point things like this out? I would hope that they would figure this out, with or without help and adjust accordingly. Better protection and Cam being able to get rid of the ball quicker are essential to Cam's long term health. Nothing the Panther's can do about the ref's not throwing flags though.

Why would they show anything now? Why would you want them to? Most of the differences will just be wrinkles anyway. Just simple things like having CMC line up in the I formation and then motioning him out into the slot or even out wide will change how the defense reacts and will make a huge difference. You don't need to design a whole new offense to use the new players or to get the ball out of Cam's hands more often and quicker.

Well Rivera was adamant during off season interviews that they want to protect Cam and get the ball out of his hands faster and into the hands of playmakers. He also mentioned that they would adjust to what the defense is doing and looked at film from other offenses to see what they were doing well. I'm going to look for these changes throughout the season. If I see the team going 3 straight games without a touchdown after half time or calling timeouts because of the play clock both Shula and Rivera need to go. 

1 hour ago, joemac said:

If the offense is exactly the same as last year, with the addition of a hopefully improved offensive line, CMC and Samuel, then we should be much much better already. 

Without the injuries to Luke and Cam (both concussion and shoulder) we probably won a few more games on that alone. Nevermind the oline injuries. A healthy season last year we were probably somewhere between an 8-8 and 11-5 team 

Archived