• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This one goes out to all the haters....

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, carolina-chuck3 said:

Against 3rd string. Lol

In his defense, he's competing to be a 3rd string receiver. No one expects him to start, and hopefully, not play. I do think we have the talent in the current corps to beat him out this year, but I can't say that about previous seasons. He's played OK, as a receiver, when his number has been called.

Fingers crossed that we find someone better to take his spot.

Sometimes being the guy who can run a hook pattern into the teeth of a defense and without-a-doubt catch the ball and hold onto it a yard past the first down marker gets you a job in the NFL. As a matter of fact, it will always get you a job in the NFL.

That's what Bersin does best. He goes out and catches that one crucial, tough first down, gets the snot beat out of him and goes right back to the bench. He doesn't do YAC, he doesn't set windsprint speed records. But once in every game or two, a guy like that can keep your team in a game.

There are a lot of guys faster than him. There are guys bigger than him. There are guys more athletic than him. But they clench up before the linebacker lays them out, missing the catch in an attempt to avoid some of the impact. Or they zip past the spot where the QB needs them to be. Or they have feet of quicksilver and hands of butter.

Bersin will have a job here probably until someone else can do what he does, for less. And he has topped it off by willing to be on special teams, even fielding punts when asked. Give the guy a break.

I know we have lots of great talent evaluators here on the forum, but instead of opinions, how about some facts, which only one other poster has provided. I took a look at Bersin's targets, receptions, and first downs compared to a couple other WRs on the roster, and a couple TEs since Bersin often plays like a small TE in terms of some of his routes, and what he's called on to do. Sure his snap count is far below the others, but that hurts him, and certainly doesn't skew any conclusions you might draw from the stats in his favor, for what I hope are obvious reasons.

Bersin_Stats.jpg

36 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Bersin is the rusty utility knife in the bottom of your tool box.  Not the tool you reach for first but sometimes when you need it, you reach for it and it gets the job done reliably.  Important thing is that when you reach for it you have to know what its limits are and what to expect out of it.

I think people want a more dynamic big play threat guy with potential and flash over this cause Bersin is boring.  In contrast, I suspect the coaches want and value reliability from a 5th or 6th receiver. 

Well said. In that respect I think he is the perfect PS player. If you lose someone you know you can put him on the 53 and he will perform at least somewhat competently and there is no need to worry about him not knowing the plays or anything like. I don't really have too much of an issue with him as a 6th WR or on the PS. Just please god never ever ever ever put him back to return punts ever again.

36 minutes ago, xav8tor said:

I know we have lots of great talent evaluators here on the forum, but instead of opinions, how about some facts, which only one other poster has provided. I took a look at Bersin's targets, receptions, and first downs compared to a couple other WRs on the roster, and a couple TEs since Bersin often plays like a small TE in terms of some of his routes, and what he's called on to do. Sure his snap count is far below the others, but that hurts him, and certainly doesn't skew any conclusions you might draw from the stats in his favor, for what I hope are obvious reasons.

Bersin_Stats.jpg

I'm quoting this again because some people still don't get it.

3 hours ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Bersin is the only player on the roster who gets bashed for doing his job making good football plays. Somehow it's his fault that people can't beat him out of his job. It's impossible for him to win here.

That's what happens when you're white af, slow, long blonde hair and drop a punt. Got to go.

If given six years most arena leaguers could EASILY get 24 total rec, Jesus H. christ! He's signed more contracts than years serviced. I know he's every white stereotype and knows the playbook, but he's also been given faaar too many chances. I'm pulling a huddle derp favoited, make him an assistant coach, derp.

Zod picked a perfect hero for himself.

18 minutes ago, Basbear said:

If given six years most arena leaguers could EASILY get 24 total rec, Jesus H. christ! He's signed more contracts than years serviced. I know he's every white stereotype and knows the playbook, but he's also been given faaar too many chances. I'm pulling a huddle derp favoited, make him an assistant coach, derp.

He's been given far too many chances to be the 5th or 6th WR? Really? Y'all talk about him as if he has been a starter and has lost us a bunch of games.

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

So, let me see...it's up to Bersin as to whether he makes the roster. Then, it's his call to make himself active for a given game. Bersin also has to tell RR when to put him on the field, and tell Shula to call his number, and make sure that Cam doesn't audible out of the play, and even that isn't enough. After the snap, Bersin has to ensure that Cam doesn't lock onto someone else, even though he's wide open with nothing but grass between himself and the first down marker or goal line. Tough job requirements you have there.

What I see is a guy who stays prepared and in shape, and who perpetually fights hard for even a chance to get on the field. When he does, he gets separation and is exactly where he needs to be. Even though he seldom gets first team reps, and never knows whether he'll even have to dress out, he's ready. When his number is called, overwhelming odds are, he makes the play, undoubtedly fighting thoughts and pressures that this might be his last time on the field, and even if we're ahead by twenty, he still must make the catch...period. The fact that his targets to receptions ratio is better over the last three years than any of our current starters, and the fact that he's in a solid second place in first down receptions, is little consolation, and apparently, unnoticed by anyone.

Archived