• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Roster Projection - Updated

Jeremy Igo

46 minutes ago, Nails said:

Thinking about having to stomach Gano again makes me SICK!!!!!

He is a quality kicker. The kicks in the first through third quarters matter just as much as the ones at the end of the game; though the end game kicks will get more press because of the perceived effect on winning and losing. We went to the Super Bowl and lost 2 games with him as the kicker; he has one of the highest touchback rates in the league which can't be overstated in importance.

One area I would like to see Ron and Co. Focus is on directional kickoffs with lots of hang time. Gano is certainly capable of providing that.

8 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

He is a quality kicker. The kicks in the first through third quarters matter just as much as the ones at the end of the game; though the end game kicks will get more press because of the perceived effect on winning and losing. We went to the Super Bowl and lost 2 games with him as the kicker; he has one of the highest touchback rates in the league which can't be overstated in importance.

One area I would like to see Ron and Co. Focus is on directional kickoffs with lots of hang time. Gano is certainly capable of providing that.

No he's not.  He's an UDFA from a house of horrors kicker "factory" that bounced around multiple teams before leeching on here.  He's less than 80% for a career, deflated our entire team with huge misses, and absolutely SUCKS for what he's being paid.  Dammit!!!

1 hour ago, caatfan said:

You're talking numbers and I'm talking situations. Don't see CMC getting many calls to get a couple of yards on the ground against a stacked line, and saying the team will not use the FB position for short yardage runs is just speculation. It may be part of the 'evolving offense' and it may not. 

Tolbert was used because he was actually good at picking up short yardage back in like 2013. There's absolutely no reason to give the ball to a FB over Stewart, Cam or McCaffery. 

Two disagreements:

1) Ben Boulware can beat out Jacobs and Norris. Mayo can slide to OLB if needed. Boulware will get signed elsewhere if we try to stash him. 

2). Screw Gano. Idc how he looks in practice. Hes a choke artist and if we have him on the roster this season he WILL lose us a game(s). He needs to go. Idk why people forget and fall for this fools gold in practice. Also, hes millions of dollars more expensive than our rookie as an added reason to dump his anxious ass. 

1 hour ago, CPcavedweller said:

I agree. I think CAP is the better overall back but the Panthers are a team that utilizes a scat back type of running back for 3rd downs. Calf can fill that role but he is also a pure three down back, while Stew is primarily a two down back. CAP offers the same type of pure running back play as Calf and as a result, I expect Fozzy to retain his 3rd down back status.

Though it's completely possibly the Panthers see no need to keep Fozzy when you have Calf who is far more versatile and is able to serve as primary back up to Stew. If Stew or Calf were to go down, CAP could fill the more traditional back role better than Fozzy. Ultimately, what it comes down to is the expectation for Calf.

Samuel could also fill in as the 3rd down "scat back" (if one is really required).

5 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I hear you, but any time I speak to a player on special teams they always mention how important Webb is out there. 

Well our STs have sucked for years so what does this say for the most important part out there???

maybe some new bloods needed 

If Boulware wasn't from Clemson nobody would care about him.

"OTHER TEAMS MIGHT STEAL OUR PRACTICE SQUAD PLAYER WE MUST KEEP HIM EVEN THOUGH EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL PASSED ON DRAFTING HIM"

He's a short armed thumper aka not equipped to be in today's NFL. 

8 minutes ago, ShutDwn said:

If Boulware wasn't from Clemson nobody would care about him.

"OTHER TEAMS MIGHT STEAL OUR PRACTICE SQUAD PLAYER WE MUST KEEP HIM EVEN THOUGH EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL PASSED ON DRAFTING HIM"

He's a short armed thumper aka not equipped to be in today's NFL. 

Not totally untrue.  Norris had all the intangibles anyone could want but came out of Utah and no one had a clue.  Ironically Utah should actually work in FAVOR of Norris over the Clemson kid from a Panthers perspective.

Killing time as an appointment I had for this afternoon was re-scheduled.  In case it's helpful, especially in trying to look at what Hurney/Rivera might do differently than Gettleman/Rivera, I compared week 1 53 man roster numbers by position for 2011 - 2016.

597f7aa86172b_RosterNumbersWeek12011-2016.png.e546d0e742651451d68a20cbca5c8c6c.png

I didn't see a ton of clear trends, but here are a few notes:

On Offense: a total of 25 or 26 players

QBs - most years we've kept 3.

RBs - usually 3. only 1 season keeping 4 (and that 4th guy, Wegher, was basically inactive all season, poor guy.)

FB - always 1

WR - evenly split between 5 and 6

TE - usually 4 except for 2016, (though again these are week 1 totals.  I think for much of 2015 we only had 3)

OT - always 4, though I think in later weeks it dipped down to 3 a few times in recent seasons.

OG - usually 4

C - usually 2

=>  O-line as a whole:  3 seasons with a total of 9, 3 seasons with a total of 10.

On Defense:  a total of 24 or 25 players - never started with 26 on Defense at any point in past 6 seasons

DE:  Usually 5

DT: Usually 4, but as low in 2011 under Hurney.

=> D-line as a whole, 9 in all seasons but 2011 when we started the season with only 7 as best I can tell.

LBs: Always has been the biggest position on the roster.  Varied from 6 - 8.  Most frequently 6.

CBs:  Varied from 4 - 6, usually 5

S: varied from 4 - 5, usually 4

Later today I can actually post the year by year week 1 rosters (with names) if people are interested.  Let me know.

Just FYI, these figures are taken from the official gamebooks for week 1 of each season.  If a player is listed at 2 positions (eg: G/C or TE/FB), I've included the player under the 1st position listed.

Archived