• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Roster Projection - Updated

Jeremy Igo

I would think that a 4th RB will be on roster considering the extra physical nature of the position. Cole Luke may be a pipe dream for that alone, but the need for another RB definitely makes Wes Horton's day's numbered. 

Does Gradkowski have any PS eligibility? I really can see us cutting him to keep an additional LB or WR because we don't want to let someone go.

History does say Ben Jacobs will make it because he is a good ST player. Jared Norris or Ben Boulware just may take his spot because of a youth movement. 

Is it reasonable to overlook Keyarris Garrett this early?

Corn Elder and Curtis Samuel could start the season on IR which may affect all the bubble guys.

Artis-Payne can backup both Stewart and McCaffrey in most formations.

Last season he seemed locked in as Stew's backup, resulting in tons of bench time, if he was even active at all. On one hand I can't really argue with keeping him and letting Fozzy go, if he's stepped up his game, but I also don't see defenses taking CAP seriously as a backup to CMC, at least as anything but a straight up RB. 

My other question at RB is who gets Tolbert's carries? If Young can run the ball it never showed with the Skins. 

Good roster discussion by Max Henson on the radio this a.m.

http://www.espncharlotte.net/the-wake-up-call-max-henson/

Also, I had NO idea safety depth LJ McCray is from Charlotte..  He's the local guy that seems to have flown under all our radars while we root for guys like Austin Duke, "Scott" Simmons, Boulware, Byrd, and Bersin(?)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article164449582.html

18 minutes ago, caatfan said:

My other question at RB is who gets Tolbert's carries? 

Tolbert only had 35 carries and 15 targets last year, but expect all of his touches to go to McCaffrey. We are evolving the offense and part of that means we won't be using the fb position as a runner/pass catcher anymore and the fb will probably be mostly used as a run/pass blocker. Any touches that Tolbert got last year are going to McCaffrey. 

1 minute ago, ncsu12engr said:

Any touches that Tolbert got last year are going to McCaffrey. 

You're talking numbers and I'm talking situations. Don't see CMC getting many calls to get a couple of yards on the ground against a stacked line, and saying the team will not use the FB position for short yardage runs is just speculation. It may be part of the 'evolving offense' and it may not. 

5 minutes ago, caatfan said:

You're talking numbers and I'm talking situations. Don't see CMC getting many calls to get a couple of yards on the ground against a stacked line, and saying the team will not use the FB position for short yardage runs is just speculation. It may be part of the 'evolving offense' and it may not. 

If we're talking specifically short yardage situations I think Stewart or Cam will probably take the majority of those. Maybe an occasional FB run to throw the defense off, but I can't see that happening more than once a game.

4 hours ago, Harbingers said:

I don't see them letting fozzy go..

Thanks for the update!

I agree. I think CAP is the better overall back but the Panthers are a team that utilizes a scat back type of running back for 3rd downs. Calf can fill that role but he is also a pure three down back, while Stew is primarily a two down back. CAP offers the same type of pure running back play as Calf and as a result, I expect Fozzy to retain his 3rd down back status.

Though it's completely possibly the Panthers see no need to keep Fozzy when you have Calf who is far more versatile and is able to serve as primary back up to Stew. If Stew or Calf were to go down, CAP could fill the more traditional back role better than Fozzy. Ultimately, what it comes down to is the expectation for Calf.

Archived