• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TIght End Chris Manhertz is rising the ranks

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, cardiackat88. said:

I hope he works out better than Barnidge and Swole bones did.

I would actually like Barnridge back.

For near vet min if he's open to being second fiddle then hell yeah.

21 hours ago, KB_fan said:

I'd be quite surprised if we only kept 2 TEs.  It's not outside the realm of possibility, but not likely.  So, I'd assume that it's Greg, Ed and #3. 

Agree with Jeremy that Manhertz seems to be having a better camp so far.  Yes, some drops, but also some good plays too.  I don't think I can remember reading much of anything positive about Simonson.

Jeremy, how does Manhertz look in blocking?

Also, how is Darell Young looking? Assuming he's a lock at fullback...

I would think that Darell Young is doing fine blocking. That is one of his strengths. 

Unlike some here, I never expected Armah to be a real challenge. He may be our future in a year or two, but Young is a solid, if not genuinely good, FB who was really only let go by Washington because they don't really use fullbacks any longer (as most teams don't).

Just now, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I seriously doubt that's going to happen. Our back up TE is lucky if he gets over 20 targets. We don't have enough balls to go around for another big time receiving TE.

Which is my point...

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I would think that Darell Young is doing fine blocking. That is one of his strengths. 

Unlike some here, I never expected Armah to be a real challenge. He may be our future in a year or two, but Young is a solid, if not genuinely good, FB who was really only let go by Washington because they don't really use fullbacks any longer (as most teams don't).

Of course FB is a dying breed but there still are some teams that use them so you can't ignore him being on the street for a year. I agree it's unlikely Armah challenges him since he's so raw, but ultimately I don't know that I have a ton of faith in Young. Probably better than Tolbert at this point at least, but that's not saying much. I want more from the FB position here. 

Just now, thomas96 said:

Of course FB is a dying breed but there still are some teams that use them so you can't ignore him being on the street for a year. I agree it's unlikely Armah challenges him since he's so raw, but ultimately I don't know that I have a ton of faith in Young. Probably better than Tolbert at this point at least, but that's not saying much. I want more from the FB position here. 

I agree. To me, you start by finding out if Armah can block or not and you can build from there. I just don't see any need to used our FB as an offensive weapon running the ball or catching passes when we already have all these playmakers for that.  IMO, if he can block, he can play. There's no need to make it complicated

7 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I agree. To me, you start by finding out if Armah can block or not and you can build from there. I just don't see any need to used our FB as an offensive weapon running the ball or catching passes when we already have all these playmakers for that.  IMO, if he can block, he can play. There's no need to make it complicated

I wish we'd build our running game around a lead blocking FB but unfortunately that isn't the reality. Rivera likes his FBs being gadget players.

Just now, thomas96 said:

I wish we'd build our running game around a lead blocking FB but unfortunately that isn't the reality. Rivera likes his FBs being gadget players.

I'm not sure that's true. He knew that Tolbert could do all of that stuff when he got here and that's how they used him. RR has never had a real blocking FB though, so we don't really know if that's something he would want.

1 minute ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I'm not sure that's true. He knew that Tolbert could do all of that stuff when he got here and that's how they used him. RR has never had a real blocking FB though, so we don't really know if that's something he would want.

Rivera wanted Tolbert here to fill that role for his desired offense, and from what I've seen in camp Young has been being used as a receiver and runner quite a fair amount. Blocking too, of course, but that hasn't been what Rivera wants out of a FB. We had Brockel who was solid as an H-back and could block and we didn't use him as a lead blocker all that much. I'm talking about like the Pats did last year with James Develin having him solely as a lead blocker. We'll likely never have that under Rivera even if we were to get a big time blocking FB. Our run game has never been built around a lead blocking FB under Rivera. It's been Cam and Stew and the read option since 2011, which is a disgrace. Maybe this evolution thing will go an entirely different direction, but I don't think we'll turn into a ground and pound run game built around the lead blocker. I expect more shotgun and open space designed runs for McC. I badly wanted Fournette and to sign one of the top FA fullbacks and adjust our offense to that game but it seems we have other plans for our evolution on offense.

I seriously doubt that's going to happen. Our back up TE is lucky if he gets over 20 targets. We don't have enough balls to go around for another big time receiving TE.

Our back up tight ends haven't been very good in the passing game. When we had Shockey in 2011, he certainly got more than 20 targets. He had 37 receptions to Olsen's 45.

Maybe, we just need another above-average tight end to land on our roster in order to warrant more targets to a back up.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

1 hour ago, mrknowitall said:

Our back up tight ends haven't been very good in the passing game. When we had Shockey in 2011, he certainly got more than 20 targets. He had 37 receptions to Olsen's 45.

Maybe, we just need another above-average tight end to land on our roster in order to warrant more targets to a back up.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Again, there are only so many balls to go around. This team is loaded with pass catchers right now and Olsen is not about to let somebody else take his targets.

Archived