• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christian McCaffrey vs Shaq Thompson - 1 on 1

Jeremy Igo

19 hours ago, exactlyzack said:

The fact that he has now juked out Luke, TD, AND Shaq makes me more excited. We have the best LB core in the league and he made em look silly. Granted it is just training camp. Still. This kid is incredible. I remember watching him in college in 2015 and was amazed. 

fast.gif

I love it but none of them are going full speed in camp whereas he probably is. Not to take nothing away from him. He's going to be one of the most exciting players in the league and cause so many match up nightmares for defenses. Good luck DCs game planning for CMC and Cam

2 hours ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

I love it but none of them are going full speed in camp whereas he probably is. Not to take nothing away from him. He's going to be one of the most exciting players in the league and cause so many match up nightmares for defenses. Good luck DCs game planning for CMC and Cam

You would have a good point if they hadn't all admitted to being juked by CMC and if J-Stew hadn't stated that nobody in the league can cover CMC one on one. J-Stew is not exactly prone to hyperbole either.

2 hours ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

Well, I actually disagree. In this instance, CMC made Shaq look slow.

The key to this entire route is the 2nd move, right whenever they are next to each other and Shaq is making smaller, slower steps to track CMC on his next cut. It's an option route with Shaq trying to force him to run the out by shading him to the inside and cover him underneath which is the tougher throw for the QB to make.

What CMC does so beautifully is a little stutter and plant to run right up the seam instead. His step is so quick and fluid that Shaq is just left behind a few yards due to not being able to react quick enough.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:21 PM, Jeremy Igo said:

Any NFL team thinking they can cover CMC with a linebacker in open space may want to think twice. 

Imagine the matchup problems this is going to cause. 

giphy.gif

Shaq was like "He was right in front of me a second ago!"

What I see in these clips that impressed me more than just the speed...

- change of direction

- acceleration

- decision making

- vision / awareness

You can have all the straight line speed in the world, but if you don't have these characteristics to go along with it, you can be handled.

McCaffrey has all these things, in droves.

Still have to see him in a real game situation to know if he's gonna live up to the hype.

But if he does, Lord have mercy.

52 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Still have to see him in a real game situation to know if he's gonna live up to the hype.

Well if college film is any indication, he's shown all four characteristics on more than one occasion. Partly the reason I'm so hyped to see him in action:

- change of direction

mccaffrey7.gif.4f40dc7efe75f7ef9b76234464654d63.gif

In the above, watch how fast CMC is able to plant himself and switch direction. He drops his weight at an other-worldly rate of speed, initiating a near 180 degree turn. The defense is unable to catch up with McCaffrey's quickness.

mccaffrey10.gif.08a474844b6a8aff388f5b0d098e05b4.gif

Well the above just shows you how shifty and quick he is. Gains a lot of yards by making nearly four guys completely whiff by his quick pacing and change of direction.

- acceleration

mccaffrey14.gif.ce849e1de276235d0083eea8ba87da1e.gif

Acceleration indeed. McCaffrey begins by pacing himself, waiting for a hole to develop. When he sees the lane he likes, he bursts right through it at top speed towards the endzone. Defense had no chance.

mccaffrey16.gif.a614712921f1c47d9eabc7cd146eed87.gif

Watching him accelerate and burst through holes and making defenders look stupid is always fun. What's really incredible is how fast his legs look in comparison to everyone else. His strides are incredible quick and faster than anyone else on the field by far.

- decision making

mccaffrey13.gif.7227d4ac99d1221a301f97bf67ec56a7.gif

Le'Veon Bell like in how patient he is when deciding his course of action. Watch as he paces and waits for his o-line to set up blocks and open up a lane. Once he sees the hole he likes, he doesn't think twice and jumps right through it. 

Describing him as the Luke Kuechly of the offense is no far cry at all.

mccaffrey15.gif.4331e8d9a64f3efc99fa762139d217db.gif

Again, watch him as he waits right behind his o-line and almost stands completely still. Waits for everything to develop and bursts through when he knows the time is right.

- vision / awareness

It's incredible, to say the least.

McCaffrey38.gif.5c961dc652a3256d5f6284215527764e.gif

Take a look at the play above. His instincts allow him to take over as he maneuvers himself through the chaos ahead of him.

Watch that one cut to the left in the middle as one of his o-linemen crashes himself into a defender. CMC feels the block and understands cutting the opposite direction will garner him a lot more yardage.

Just a few clips to get excited about.

15 minutes ago, Kevin Greene said:

Two things impress me about McCaffrey. His ability to create space as a receiver. The uncanny ability he has to set up a would be tackler in front of him with a move and leave that defender grasping at air.

Indeed. He's shown that in college too. Not only does he do it with his quickness and speed, he does that with his precise route-running as well.

mccaffrey47.gif.a8ff748ae62b84704643a2022afece3e.gif

Watch CMC run a route above.

He comes out with a double move by dropping his hips and turning his head with urgency. It appears natural and well-thought out, baiting the defender into thinking it would be a short route. McCaffrey explodes and continues on with his route. Although the QB threw way off the mark, McCaffrey made himself wide open in what would've been a sure touchdown.

Textbook stuff.

Oh, and pit him one on one against a linebacker? Well, we've already seen what he did to Luke, TD, and Shaq, but he's been doing that stuff since college:

mccaffrey17.gif.4355580299607805ed4b2f6c0285355a.gif

mccaffrey52.gif.adcebf6af2f2b815e3e0768d88c7768a.gif

Incredible.

Archived