• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Panthers Training Camp Day 4 Open Thread

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, thomas96 said:

I've never thought he was a terrible pick. Seemed like a bit of a reach but so have many of DG's like Bradberry and Mayo who are clearly studs and great picks. Amini's career may have been much different if not for his injuries. Despite the good news now I still doubt he ever becomes a starter again. It would be a big plus if he could just be a solid #3/4 guy who's versatile enough to play all along the line. And honestly it's still possible he doesn't even make the roster this year. I mean in hindsight there's no way you can call it a good pick, but I'll agree to a degree that it wasn't such a terrible pick. Not like the Fua or Everette Brown picks.

And by the way dawg, I saw a post of yours ripping on Shep and just never replied so I figure I'll let you know here and now that Shep is my new WR mancrush (unless/until Samuel gets up to speed and healthy). He's already everything I was waiting for Philly to become and he still has room for growth. AND he's got the added bonus of being a ST demon, which Philly has never had. Look out for this kid and don't be surprised if he has a huge role this year and he thrives in it. Could be similar to 2015 with Shep in the Cotch role, Samuel in Ginn's role, Funchess hopefully better than he was as a rookie and KB being a huge upgrade over Philly. But ultimately none of that will matter if Cam keeps locking onto Greg and KB like last year and '14. I don't think he will though especially if Kalil and Williams/Moton can help solidify the line and with McC in the fold too.

Don't get it twisted, Thomas. I didn't "rip" on Shepard. I was just pointing out the fact that thus far in his career, he has proven to be an outstanding ST guy, but hasn't really done anything as an actual receiver. I've consistently said that he may have potential, but that potential and production aren't the same. This is his fifth year, on a team that seems like it really wants to give him an opportunity (more so than some of the others it appears), so perhaps he'll finally exploit his role (which is something that he failed to do in Tampa last season). I never wrote him off, but just don't see him as any more special than the rest. He's going to have to prove it. He's off to a good start. But, I'm not going to know for sure until late September or October about him, or our corps in general.

I still would like to see more competition.

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Don't get it twisted, Thomas. I didn't "rip" on Shepard. I was just pointing out the fact that thus far in his career, he has proven to be an outstanding ST guy, but hasn't really done anything as an actual receiver. I've consistently said that he may have potential, but that potential and production aren't the same. This is his fifth year, on a team that seems like it really wants to give him an opportunity (more so than some of the others it appears), so perhaps he'll finally exploit his role (which is something that he failed to do in Tampa last season). I never wrote him off, but just don't see him as any more special than the rest. He's going to have to prove it. He's off to a good start. But, I'm not going to know for sure until late September or October about him, or our corps in general.

I still would like to see more competition.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I remembered you writing that you thought he wouldn't even make the team this year. Either way, I do agree with you here. I'm usually the type of guy to call bullsh(t when someone says a guy never gets an opportunity (like some claiming Byrd has never had an opportunity here, etc.) but I think Shepard might come close to fitting that bill. When he got the opportunity in Tampa last year he did have solid production, but even more so than that I think he's got a better opportunity to improve and excel and learn here than he did in Tampa not just with expected playing time but with the staff around him and what their vision is for him. I think having Cotch here with Shep is huge, and I could see Shep having an impact on par with Cotch in his prime, even better than he was when he was here. Early indications this camp are good but of course there is a long way to go and I agree 100% on competition. I think it's pretty solid now with KB, Funch, Shep, Samuel, and the rest of these younger guys battling it out for the last spot or two. And add in McCaffrey who can play a bit too. 

He and we can't really know and it seemed Jeremy's post was just because it was the first known position "change" since Hurney said he was considering them. But Amini had already had tackle snaps here so I don't think that this even really counts as a position change. And ultimately Rivera's the one who decides how to use the players on the roster, not Hurney. 

No, not in OTAs he didnt. What has happened since then...... Hmmmmm

1 hour ago, Thunderbird037 said:

I agree. At worst Elder may end up on IR, now that teams can bring two players back from it during the season.

I'd totally forgotten about the IR rule change.  Thanks for posting about that.  Indeed that could be the best solution for Elder, wouldn't take up a roster space early and yet maybe could help in the stretch.

For being at a disadvantage in these drills, Marlowe is looking great.  

Also--these receivers sound hungry.  This is their time to show each other up even though there are 4 locks in my view (KB-Funch-Shepard-Samuel).

A lot of guys vying for one or two spots.  

Kaelin Clay and Fred Ross seem to be showing up but it's going to be very hard for them to scratch the active.  I also see Garrett getting cut kind of soon and minimal noise on Bersin and Duke so far.  

Damiere Byrd may have his time this year.  

here's some other stuff...first, some of our former guys

Carolina Panthers Retweeted

It's Ted Ginn Still Has Drop Issues Day at Saints camp.

Carolina Panthers Retweeted

Remmers has been less than impressive today. Sacks given up to Hunter, Robison and Griffen.

and from today's player interviews

Austin Duke is up. He says even though he had a big week, he's focusing on consistency.

Austin Duke: "I have my work cut out for me. I have big play potential. I just need to be who I am."

Panthers & former @Charlotte49erFB WR Austin Duke not worried about competing for job; focused on being best he can.

Shaq Thompson: "I understand my role. I go in when my number is called. I enjoy watching Luke and TD play. I just try to be productive."

Shaq Thompson again saying all the right things about his snap counts.

Shaq Thompson said learning MLB position last year while Luke Kuechly was injured helped give him better understanding of defense.

Shaq says he lost 10-12 pounds to get back to his 2015 weight. Mostly just skipped breakfast.

Shaq Thompson says he's lost 10 pounds, down to 230. How'd he do it? "Ate two meals a day."

Shaq Thompson on Christian McCaffrey: "The guy is shifty."

Shaq Thompson cut about 10 pounds, he's about 230. Also admitted CMC got him good on a cut yesterday

Shaq Thompson said Christian McCaffey "got him" on route yesterday in practice. "He is going to make me better and I will make him better."

Shaq put on weight prior to hold his own in the box, but now feels more comfortable wherever he is placed at this lighter weight.

Cole Luke had a less than stellar 40 time, didn't get drafted. As a reference, it was about the same as Josh Norman's 40.

I suspect we will see plenty of Shaq in the joker role plenty this year. Wilks is going to have some fun.

Teammates have helped Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin cope with mother's passing: https://apnews.com/2a25fc6a4d8e455fb53cc9ac81d8b1ba/Teammates-help-Panthers-WR-Benjamin-cope-with-mother's-death 

DF61ADVXoAM7yEV.jpg

Archived