• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

WR Russell Shepard Runs Sweet Route In Training Camp

Saca312

I think Russell Shepard has a good chance of making it as our WR3.

Take a look at the following play from today's edition of training camp:

Shepard3.gif.f4ff5aa90c21f9516474bc159514c381.gif

Going man to man against Worley, watch Shepard drop his weight at the top of the route, and stagger fluidly to the catch point and continue on. Textbook example of dropping your weight at the top of the route. Any CB going against what Shepard just did would have trouble keeping up.

Shepard's been someone I've been harping on since March. His performance at training camp just gives evidence of what I've been preaching on this past off-season.

He has a chance to get some decent time this year. No doubt I'm rooting for the kid.

I actually think he's looking to push to the WR2.  He would play on the outside, more than the slot (Samuel, CMC, Byrd), and has more experience and fundamentals than Funch at this point.  I'm not saying the job is his to lose, that's actually where Funch is right now, but Shep has a full head of steam heading Funch's way.  

1 minute ago, X-Clown on 1 said:

I actually think he's looking to push to the WR2.  He would play on the outside, more than the slot (Samuel, CMC, Byrd), and has more experience and fundamentals than Funch at this point.  I'm not saying the job is his to lose, that's actually where Funch is right now, but Shep has a full head of steam heading Funch's way.  

Samuel is having so many hamstring issues who knows if he'll even been playing much

3 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

It would be nice if SOMEBODY stepped in to the Cotchery role as that clutch guy who finds a way to move the chains in those tough games. It can't always be Olsen.

I know I will get roasted for this, but you just described Bersin to a tee.

Benjamin is a gamer much like Cam, I don't worry about Benji. When the lights come on so will he.

10 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

It would be nice if SOMEBODY stepped in to the Cotchery role as that clutch guy who finds a way to move the chains in those tough games. It can't always be Olsen.

IMG_0045.JPG.3754d62886aee85d6e626ab650ab723f.JPG

Could sign for cheap and would be just that but a better version.

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

He and Funchess have been the two best recievers. 

Benjamin is not having the camp he did in years past. No one is mentioning this yet, but they will . 

Yeah, I saw the tweets about KBs drops today, and his possibly slowing up on the end of a route -> leading to being overthrown and I went Hmmmm.  But he's looking good (slimmer), so I figured I'd give him a bit of slack and see how things go... afterall, today was 1st time in pads in awhile.  Bersin was off his game today too...

Clay & Garrett have moved up on my radar a bit....  Will be curious about Trevor (TJ) Graham as by all accounts his speed is amazing.  Ron seems serious about getting more speed on the field this season.

So, yes, I think Shepard is among our top 3 receivers.  Seems pretty consistent, which we need.

18 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Benjamin is a gamer much like Cam, I don't worry about Benji. When the lights come on so will he.

IMG_0045.JPG.3754d62886aee85d6e626ab650ab723f.JPG

Could sign for cheap and would be just that but a better version.

I just said this in the Samuel thread.. His hamstring issues would be easier to deal with if we signed a proven commodity like Boldin

Just now, uncfan888 said:

I just said this in the Samuel thread.. His hamstring issues would be easier to deal with if we signed a proven commodity like Boldin

He signed a dirt cheap contract last year and he said he prefers to play close to home (Florida). Charlotte is close enough. 

Make it happen Marty!

Archived