• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christian McCaffrey in pass protection

Jeremy Igo

Today was the first day to observe Christian McCaffrey in pass protection drills. Lined up 1 on 1 versus a Linebacker of safey, CMC's job was to keep them away from the "quarterback". 

He didn't do so well against the linebackers. Out muscled my Mayo and just out played by Cash. 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

McCaffrey did far better against the safety McCray, someone more his size. 

giphy.gif

This is a starting point for McCaffrey. The goal will not be to improve on this as camp continues on into the preseason. He won't reach his full potential as far as playing time until the coaching staff is confident in his pass blocking. 

he's lunging and not keeping his head up. i noticed this in highlight cutups of him after the draft.

he will get punished in pass pro until he keeps his shoulders over his hips, with his eye level up, trusting the leverage of his base rather than the force generated by pushing forward.

no reason to think that someone with his track record can't improve technique on something like this, and at an accelerated pace.

Just now, PhillyB said:

not really, i was just looking for an opening to bag on shula

Yeah, I kind of figured that, lol.

In all seriousness though, I won't be mad if CMC is never a "workhorse" back. His job is to create mismatches and make plays, regardless of where he lines up.

Just now, caatfan said:

I wonder how much he had to pass block at Stanford. Not much I hope. At any rate, I wouldn't design too many long pass plays with the kid as a pass protector.

He actually did quite a few times. He whiffed a few due to putting his head low but showed flashes of handling it well.

McCaffrey22b.gif.351894f8e584fa8baf4821d1db1beb5d.gif

On the one seen above, Watch as McCaffrey rolls his hips, sits down, and pushes up the Washington DT to a standing position. Good technique all around. You want to see more of this.

mccaffrey31.gif.bed1c1f344268b4fe5f0b81224573aa0.gif

If he keeps his head up, he generally does well and wins. However, he does need a lot of work to get used to countering moves and such.

Archived