• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

One Hurney position change revealed

Jeremy Igo

OK but he was a tackle when Gettleman got here. He didn't suggest that anybody switch positions, as far as any of us knows. As far as who started, that was a product of what he had to work with. Was he supposed to magically produce a pro bowl tackle with no money? You're comparing apples and oranges.
Having said that, Amini taking reps as a back up LT early in camp is not a big deal anyway.

Excuses excuses excuses.. My opinion he tried to make a Bad RT to a LT because he's "left handed" not much difference in "tc" letting a former college LT/ LG get reps at back up LT..

And he had a choice.. Don't push out Gross ..

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Just now, WOW!! said:

Excuses excuses excuses.. My opinion he tried to make a Bad RT to a LT because he's "left handed" not much difference in "tc" letting a former college LT/ LG get reps at back up LT..

And he had a choice.. Don't push out Gross ..

Gross was ready to retire anyway. We have been over and over this stuff. Bottom line, you have no evidence whatsoever that Gettleman ever even suggested that any player switch to a position that he can't play, which is the premise of this whole thread.

And he had a choice.. Don't push out Gross .. again it's okay to think Gman was a really good GM because he was.. But defending and explaining away mistakes (he even admits he made) is getting lame..

Gross was ready to retire anyway. We have been over and over this stuff. Bottom line, you have no evidence whatsoever that Gettleman ever even suggested that any player switch to a position that he can't play, which is the premise of this whole thread.

My opinion Gross had 2 more years left on his deal and Gman choice to cut cost on him...
ITwas proven Bell can't play LT..

4 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

I guess you didn't see the other thread where one of the first things Hurney did was have a sit-down with Rivera where part of that conversation was the suggestion of possible position changes.

And many people see a "suggestion" by the guy who hires and fires you as more than a "suggestion".

I did see that, but nothing in there said Hurney dictated anything to Rivera whatsoever.  All that was said was that in initial meetings Hurney gave his thoughts.  Everyone is just filling in what best fits their narrative of hate for Hurney and what supports their displeasure for his hire (even though I can tell about 90% of the complainers don't really understand what is actually happening here - or at least choose to ignore it).  

I also know that Hurney has never dictated coaching decisions to his coaches, that's not how he operates, so it doesn't even make sense that he'd suddenly start now.  And really that's typically not how it works throughout the league anyway.  GM's give suggestions, but coaches make actual decisions on things like this. 

So if Hurney did suggest something to Rivera, and we actually do it, it's because Rivera was already going in that direction anyway, not because of some great Hurney revelation.  Especially when you realize that Hurney's strength is not, nor has ever been player evaluation...and believe me, Rivera knows that as well as us.

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

My opinion Gross had 2 more years left on his deal and Gman choice to cut cost on him...
ITwas proven Bell can't play LT..

Fine. That's your opinion and I have mine. Either way, Amini taking back up LT reps is not a big deal. I'm not even bashing your hero, Marty here, so what's the problem?

17 hours ago, Nate Dogg said:

This is the 4th season after Gross and the most important position to protect our MVP winning QB is still in flux. It's just sad. 

Is it really though?  We had one truly terrible year with Bell, so we immediately moved on and picked up Oher.  He had a great season.  We were all still a little iffy, but he had definitely done enough to warrant a shot at being THE guy.  And then we all know what happened last season.  So we picked up another guy that was good in the (perhaps a bit too distant) past, hoping to strike gold. It's not like we've been sitting around with our thumbs up our asses.  There are no pro-bowl Left Tackles out there on their couches just waiting to be picked up.  We probably could have found a proven LT who is below average, but that would just be a bandaid.  I'm personally quite okay with the way we've been searching for a replacement to Gross, given that there haven't been any truly good prospects at our first pick in the draft the past few years. 

Fine. That's your opinion and I have mine. Either way, Amini taking back up LT reps is not a big deal. I'm not even bashing your hero, Marty here, so what's the problem?

See how small you get.. My opinion had nothing to do with marty.. But i guess if you don't worship at the alter of Gettelmen your a Marty guy..
Well to correct you I'm a Polian, Mark Richardson, Capers, Siefert. Marty and Gettelmen Guy.. I'm a panthers guy i support and critic anybody in this organization..
Save your titles for yourself.

Not sure how this experiment is going to turn out but I'm not getting worked up.  If he sucks then he sucks but I think you have to find out.  Your still in the same position as you are now in that you have to look on the cut wire for a backup.  If he is serviceable in a jam and keeps some continuity with the line I would see it as a positive thing.

12 hours ago, top dawg said:

The pot calling the kettle black.

Gettleman was here how many years? Not to mention the fact that he ran off Gross. 

Here's some facts jack. He got us to the playoffs 3 out of the 4 years and did it with a tight budget. No other GM in history did that. Also if retirement is running off I guess you can say he ran off Gamble and DeAngelo too. All we got for it was a playoff appearance and a super bowl run the following year. Such a scrub that Dave guy was. 

15 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Injuries... bruh.

We easily could have won 9 at the very least (Broncos, Vikings and Saints). There's a reason why Ron and the coaching staff drew immense criticism.

We were trash before the injuries started happening. Pass defense was never going to give us a chance to compete 

Archived