• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Kalil Concerns

Jeremy Igo

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Point being that way too early analysis is generally worthless.

You've been here enough seasons to know that.

Oh, I suppose it's too early to analyze the first five years of his career, especially as it pertains to whether or not you give him a team-unfriendly deal and a presumed starting role...

Alright.

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Oh, I suppose it's too early to analyze the first five years of his career, especially as it pertains to whether or not you give him a team-unfriendly deal and a presumed starting role...

Alright.

No one's ever improved after healing from injury?

The guy has always been garbage. Add to this that he missed so many games in his career, and is coming off a surgery, I don't understand why Dave signed him in favor of Andrew Whitworth. Whitworth while old hasn't missed many games, and has played at a high level throughout his career.

I feel like Dave just threw the bones with the Kalil signing, like the Oher signing, but this time I don't think it's going to work out. That contract is scary.

1 hour ago, E CaT PanTHer 2 said:

$13M fully guaranteed at signing

if 2018 option isn't picked up, the bonus is converted to salary and $11M is guaranteed 

2019 $7M fully guarantees

yes if the panthers can trade him, then they'll be off the hook, but if the Panthers cut him, those guarantees still have to be paid. 

Teams aren't on the hook for option bonuses if the contracted player isn't on the team of I understand correctly.  If Kalil were cut next season they'd basically pay him 11 mil to walk away because that first option converts into salary if its not exercised.  It's essentially a really expensive 2 year trial with an escape plan if it turns out to be a disaster after that.

What's wrong guys? I thought Dave was the GOAT talent evaluator and contract negotiator.

What horrendous offensive tackle that hasn't been good since his rookie season where he was overrated, and missed 14 games last season isn't a good signing for $55,500,000, $31,000,000 guaranteed? Don't worry, maybe the HIP SURGERY he had in the offseason will fix everything while playing beside his brother. LOL!

Andrew Whitworth was just sitting there.

All we can do is hope he catches on.  No one's panicking, but we knew this guy's weaknesses before we signed him.  Hopefully reps and eventual oline cohesion will help mask or mitigate some of his faults.  I'm like a lot of others in here though, would've rather taken a stab at Reiff, Okung or Whitworth but hopefully a good OL group including big bro will have some positive effects.  I also hope if another T outperforms him that the coaches don't feel obligated to start him.

Remember when everyone was mad when we replaced Byron Bell with Michael Oher? No one thought he was an adequate replacement and were in panic mode back when he signed in March all the way until the beginning of the 2015 season. We ended up going 15-1 en route to a Super Bowl.

Let's let things play out with Matt Kalil before we crucify him after his first training camp practice

The guy has always been garbage. Add to this that he missed so many games in his career, and is coming off a surgery, I don't understand why Dave signed him in favor of Andrew Whitworth. Whitworth while old hasn't missed many games, and has played at a high level throughout his career.
I feel like Dave just threw the bones with the Kalil signing, like the Oher signing, but this time I don't think it's going to work out. That contract is scary.

If we go by what Dave has said during his press conferences, it makes sense why he wouldn't go after Whitworth. Dave had repeatedly said that his job was to setup the Panthers for success in both the short term and long term. Whitworth would likely have been the better decision for this season and maybe next season. But then we're right back in the same boat where we're looking for another tackle. Matt Kalil on the other hand, if he works out, we have him for five years (during what should be his prime). If Kalil doesn't work out, then he can be released without destroying our cap.

Ultimately, maybe Gettleman could've gotten Kalil to sign for even less, but it's not like the Panthers are in bad shape with this deal. It's certainly a gamble, but if Dave put in the work to evaluate Kalil and believed that with our coaching he can correct some of his mistakes, then I'm psyched to see him this season.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

5 hours ago, top dawg said:

I'm not panicking at all, just being cynical. 

The fact is, my ultimate position is sound. You don't sign Matt Kalil to such a lucrative contract because his play thus far in his career is not commensurate with the money that he's receiving. Secondly, your money could have probably been better spent if you were willing to make it happen. Thirdly, if you're bringing in Matt Kalil, make a run at another veteran to have some legitimate competition. Lastly, it borders on pure lunacy not to invest more in finding an exclamation point for the position, even in the short term, when you've half-assed it for year after year while not putting your QB in the best position to be protected from being pummeled, much less win.

Silotolu is our second LT. would you prefer for him to be number 1 with some scrub even worse as the number 2? It's possible the other guys mentioned here weren't even possibilities. 

Archived