• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Kalil Concerns

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, CatMan72 said:

It's early like others have pointed out, and he's facing a DE he hasn't scouted - but I share some of the same concerns based on his performance yesterday. At one point he was on his back, not sure what happened and Addison was on the ground too, but it's never a good sign when an o-lineman looks like a turtle flipped over on his shell. 

Image result for turtle on back gif

12 minutes ago, ItsPantone278 said:

via spotrac

$13M fully guaranteed at signing

if 2018 option isn't picked up, the bonus is converted to salary and $11M is guaranteed 

2019 $7M fully guarantees

yes if the panthers can trade him, then they'll be off the hook, but if the Panthers cut him, those guarantees still have to be paid. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's no logic behind panicking over a single practice on the first day of camp, regardless of who the player is.

I'm not panicking at all, just being cynical. 

The fact is, my ultimate position is sound. You don't sign Matt Kalil to such a lucrative contract because his play thus far in his career is not commensurate with the money that he's receiving. Secondly, your money could have probably been better spent if you were willing to make it happen. Thirdly, if you're bringing in Matt Kalil, make a run at another veteran to have some legitimate competition. Lastly, it borders on pure lunacy not to invest more in finding an exclamation point for the position, even in the short term, when you've half-assed it for year after year while not putting your QB in the best position to be protected from being pummeled, much less win.

19 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I wouldn't read too much into it yet, that seems pretty silly overall.

But it really bothers me that the posters who have been going around here flooding the place with tears about Gettleman's firing, and blaming our players for it, have nothing to say about the fact we've been desperate for an LT since Gross was cut 6 f*cking years ago. It's why we were almost forced to throw big bucks at Matt Kalil, and it's all on Gettleman. But we don't want to talk about that apparently.

Damn! Has it been that long? 

It's like becoming used to a bad smell over time. 

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I'm not panicking at all, just being cynical. 

The fact is, my ultimate position is sound. You don't sign Matt Kalil to such a lucrative contract because his play thus far in his career is not commensurate with the contract. Secondly, your money could have probably been better spent if you were willing to make it happen. Thirdly, if you're bringing in Matt Kalil, make a run at another veteran to have some legitimate competition. Lastly, it borders on pure lunacy not to invest more in finding an exclamation point for the position, even in the short term, when you've half-assed it for year after year while not putting your QB in the best position to be protected from being pummeled, much less win.

Pretty sure the same things were said about Oher.

true, but we always do it for key positions. Every year.

What position isn't a 'key position?' All of your starters are key positions. Every team has to make these types of decisions. LT is a premium position, and teams that have a good/great one do so at the expense of other premium positions.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty sure the same things were said about Oher.

I don't know why people keep bringing up Oher.

First off, he was arguably better from a historical standpoint. Secondly, it's not like he was Cam's salvation. And lastly, see Oher's contract, then for, uh, giggles (literally), look at Kalil's.

Ummm we need for him to be a little better than Oher. We don't need for him to be on the same level. 2015, with Oher at LT, we played max protect dang near all game, and that got figured out that ATL game with DEN further exposing us even more. Well, now that I think about it, we just need whoever manning Remmers spot to be better, then Kalil just needs to play like Oher did in 2015.

28 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't know why people keep bringing up Oher.

First off, he was arguably better from a historical standpoint. Secondly, it's not like he was Cam's salvation. And lastly, see Oher's contract, then for, uh, giggles (literally), look at Kalil's.

Point being that way too early analysis is generally worthless.

You've been here enough seasons to know that.

Archived