• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Kalil Concerns

Jeremy Igo

9 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Unfortunately, this appears like the continuation of what derailed his career in Minnesota rather than an exception.

Hope he proves me wrong, but right now not expecting too much. Feel this was more a JR inspired signing too.

Oh good Lord.. ..

2 minutes ago, backINblack28 said:

maybe a dude who underwent hip surgery tries a little less hard day one training camp than, oh, i don't know, someone that didn't

maybe that

Or maybe the guy underwent hip surgery and went to a new team where he had to learn a new playbook and a new way of doing things  and he's a little rusty. I guess we should stop with the common sense though because we're ruining the overreaction party.

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Look I see people's mouths moving, explaining his contract and the LT market, blah blah blah, but there were more astute moves to be made if what you were going for is Not-Byron-Bell-or-Average-LT-Guy.

Whitworth was better IMO. Okung was a better bet IMO. Reiff was a better bet IMO. 

We may never know if those were ever an option.  Who's to say that one or all of those guys weren't Dave's preference over who he signed?   This signing just has the feel of JR all over it because he's the brother of one of JR's favorites.  Nothing would surprise me with this organization anymore.

@Jeremy Igo, you can't leave us hanging now. I know that you're not gonna do it, but we need a thread pinned like The Life And Times Of Matt Kalil...Just keep us updated, bro, because this easily becomes the most important story of camp. And if you don't tell, we're gonna ask, so you might as well hunker down and keep one eye on Kalil at all times.

Just now, mc52beast said:

How many serviceable LT's have we had since Gross retired? It's really f'ing amazing that this team can't find an above average LT to help keep Cam from getting mauled every time he drops back

How do you know they haven't found one? This was one unpadded practice by a guy coming off hip surgery and starting over on a new team. Relax, folks.

Just now, mc52beast said:

How many serviceable LT's have we had since Gross retired? It's really f'ing amazing that this team can't find an above average LT to help keep Cam from getting mauled every time he drops back

This. This is why I'm so damned frustrated! This is why I'm "overreacting." 

It's so damned frustrating. If you can't draft one, then at least make a run at one who you know, pretty much without a doubt, is going TO BE worth a damn. F the guessing!

3 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Oher was exactly that - serviceable.  It's not the front office's fault that he got a severe concussion.  It's a damn shame is what it is.  I've been critical of our team's handling of tackle - was SCREAMING about lack of depth (David Foucault!!!) last year in pre-season.  But getting Oher was one of our best moves.  If he were healthy a lot of things would be different.

Signing Matt Kalil seemed like a reasonable move, though yes, I was surprised by the contract.  It seemed like there was some desperation involved, and probably there was.  I really hope playing with Ryan (Ryan, get healthy soon!) will help him, as well as working with Matsko & Brown.

Archived