• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Kalil Concerns

Jeremy Igo

The contract is essentially a 2 year 25M contract.

If he is just average, it will look like a good deal.  If he's below average, it will look like a failed hail Mary.  Something that had to be done, but it's chances are pretty slim.

2 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

This verifies what I've seen from him. 

I hope this doesn't continue.

I didn't watch him much in college....but if he really can't play, did he get drafted that high based on size and name?  Or have injuries just slowed him down so much he can't move any longer?

The Oher thing was a good point.  Everyone on the outside trashed us for the original Oher signing, but we didn't need Oher to be an all-star.  We needed him to not be Byron Bell.  In the same sense, if Kalil can be league average/basically NOT be a combination of an older/injured Oher/Remmers playing out of position and way over his head, we're fine.  And that's the going rate for an LT in a market with no LTs.  

The outside also sees the contract way worse cause it looks like 5 years and a lot guaranteed but realistically the only guarantees are the first two years and most of that comes this year.  Do we need it to work? Absolutely.  But we don't need the guy to go to the pro bowl.  Just don't be Remmers.  We told Oher just don't be Bell and he was decent/around league average and we lost 2 games. 

Our Super Bowl year we had a very league average OL with 2 certified stars in Kalil and Turner (and Turner was just starting to come into his own).  The rest of it was decent players (if even that), a lot of luck with health, and continuity.  That's what we're going to need this year.  I don't think it's fair to evaluate Matt Kalil for the money he is making.  In an inflated salary cap market, asking "why are we giving this guy 25 mil over 2 years" isn't the question.  It's "if we can field a league average OL, can Cam take us to the SB?" We know the answer to that question, so let's cross our fingers for health and continuity.

8 minutes ago, mjligon said:

Cmon the thought of that is just ridiculous. 

Well, you know what?  That'd be alright if we weren't talking Super Bowl. In the Super Bowl, it's funny because you somehow end up facing really really good pass rushers there as well. You know, things just usually work out like that.

4 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I didn't watch him much in college....but if he really can't play, did he get drafted that high based on size and name?  Or have injuries just slowed him down so much he can't move any longer?

He had very good technique and a feel for the position, but his lack of explosiveness exposed him later in his NFL career. He can't handle the speed of NFL premier pass rushers due to that trait.

I was hoping hip surgery would fix some of that. So far, it doesn't look so.

3 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

He had very good technique and a feel for the position, but his lack of explosiveness exposed him later in his NFL career. He can't handle the speed of NFL premier pass rushers due to that trait.

I was hoping hip surgery would fix some of that. So far, it doesn't look so.

Proper coaching, and maybe he can refine that technique a little.

Some LT's play well into their 30's, and likely lost much of their athleticism by then, and are still productive.  Hopefully we can see that happen here....we certainly need it to.

Losing Oher was a blow that we really couldn't afford.

2 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Do you guys not know how damn silly you look when you overreact like this over the first freaking practice of TC? I'm embarrassed for some of  you.

Unfortunately, this appears like the continuation of what derailed his career in Minnesota rather than an exception.

Hope he proves me wrong, but right now not expecting too much. Feel this was more a JR inspired signing too.

3 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Unfortunately, this appears like the continuation of what derailed his career in Minnesota rather than an exception.

Hope he proves me wrong, but right now not expecting too much. Feel this was more a JR inspired signing too.

TBH, I don't think you have been fair to the guy either. You will never convince me that, out of the hundreds of snaps Kalil took at LT for the Vikings, that you could only find one GIF where he wasn't giving up a sack. That's not even possible. Just in our game alone, he took at least 50 snaps without giving up a sack and some of those snaps were against Addison and while he was still injured.

Look I see people's mouths moving, explaining his contract and the LT market, blah blah blah, but there were more astute moves to be made if what you were going for is Not-Byron-Bell-or-Average-LT-Guy.

Whitworth was better IMO. Okung was a better bet IMO. Reiff was a better bet IMO. 

Archived