• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Kalil Concerns

Jeremy Igo

We'll see on Kalil, but let's not over blow the contract. It's big on the outside but we have an out from it if things don't go well. We have two young promising guys too. Let's just wait til we see some preseason games.

I went on record saying I wasn't a fan of the move, and I loved the majority of Gett's moves. 

While we are paying Kalil a boatload of money right now, we're really only on the hook for 2 years, and if worst comes to worst, he could be a June first cut next year to spread the cap hit across two seasons.

We're on the hook for roughly 20-25 mil over the first two years. If he pans out, we're getting a starting LT at slightly below league average pricing. If he doesn't, then we can attempt to find the solution quickly and wash our hands of the problem fastker than we could with poor contracts in years past (Williams, Anderson, Godfrey, Stewart, Delhomme, Beason, etc.)

34 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

Don't be an idiot. Especially if we aren't certain JR didn't make this happen cuz he loves Ryan

Exactly - I think JR forced DG to get MK no matter the cost. This never looked like a contract DG would hand out to a "risky" player. This was so not him...

38 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

Not sure how you can say that when he hasn't played a single snap yet. Lol

Matt Kalil is not a little used WR, he is a first round LT that has had plenty of snaps.

44 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

Don't be an idiot. Especially if we aren't certain JR didn't make this happen cuz he loves Ryan

If you think that hedging your bets with Ryan Clady is idiotic, then that's you.

JR loves his sons.

12 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I went on record saying I wasn't a fan of the move, and I loved the majority of Gett's moves. 

While we are paying Kalil a boatload of money right now, we're really only on the hook for 2 years, and if worst comes to worst, he could be a June first cut next year to spread the cap hit across two seasons.

We're on the hook for roughly 20-25 mil over the first two years. If he pans out, we're getting a starting LT at slightly below league average pricing. If he doesn't, then we can attempt to find the solution quickly and wash our hands of the problem fastker than we could with poor contracts in years past (Williams, Anderson, Godfrey, Stewart, Delhomme, Beason, etc.)

We had to do something. I admit it shouldnt have gotten to that point. 

1 minute ago, The Huddler said:

We had to do something. I admit it shouldnt have gotten to that point. 

Yep, that's the unfortunate thing about it all. If Oher's brain hadn't been scrambled then it wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately it was and we needed to do something. Kalil was medium risk, High reward kind of option. I like low risk, high reward, like Oher when we signed him. 

Hopefully Moton shows he can play either side of the line or we can get a LT with experience who can provide depth and or push Kalil to be better for a low price. 

I'm not holding my breath though. 

14 minutes ago, Danish Panther said:

Exactly - I think JR forced DG to get MK no matter the cost. This never looked like a contract DG would hand out to a "risky" player. This was so not him...

He was backed into a corner there, kind of had to make some move like that.  Contract is set up to mitigate the risk if it doesn't pan out though.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Kalil is going to get plenty of great practice going head to head with Peppers and Addison. Maybe the good news is that Addison is really great instead of Kalil really sucks.

Cmon the thought of that is just ridiculous. 

It's not that he made a move. He had to make one. It's that he overvalued and overestimated Kalil. The contract that he was given was not commensurate with his quality of work, and his quality of work should not have really been indicative of the trust to say "This is our answer," as opposed to "This guy could be the answer." As such, you bring in someone else who is at least as good or better to foster competition. It was fairly obvious that Oher was not that guy, as he had not cleared the concussion protocol for months.

But, let's all grin and bear it and hope like hell that there's a change, or that we can find an upgrade before the season starts.

Archived