• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers sign another center

Jeremy Igo

The Panthers also made an addition, signing center Greg Van Roten, who has previously been with the Packers and Seahawks in addition to Toronto in the Canadian Football League. Van Roten was most recently with the Jaguars before being released in May.

from Panthers.com

Makes me wonder exactly how many reps Kalil will be taking in camp. Probably not many. 

9 minutes ago, OnlyPantherFaninMaine said:

Center creeping up this team's needs going forward the next couple seasons it seems. I don't need to see Kalil in pre season. Get him as healthy as he can be to go handle business in San Francisco week 1. 

I think Larsen has done real well

34 minutes ago, OnlyPantherFaninMaine said:

Center creeping up this team's needs going forward the next couple seasons it seems. I don't need to see Kalil in pre season. Get him as healthy as he can be to go handle business in San Francisco week 1. 

Larsen did well in Kalil's stead last season 

1 hour ago, Lemory said:

Tyler Larson filled in nicely during the season. He shouldnt be the guy going forward but proved to be a better backup center than Gradkowski.

The line played much better when Larsen was in over Gradkowski, but in Gradkowski's defense he battled injury all year even before Kalil got hurt. 

I'd still rather take a look at Larsen as the long term back-up moving forward, but that's just me. 

3 hours ago, OnlyPantherFaninMaine said:

Minimizing his snaps is a good idead but he needs to play in couple of pre-season games. Getting live game reps is a  necessaity in order to be ready for week 1, otherwise there will a lot more in game errors. 

As already stated, with Kalil still in rehab, you've gotta have a little extra depth there so you don't wear out the actual back up in camp and preseason.  Gotta imagine we won't see much from Ryan Kalil until reg season.  You'd like to see some limited activity in camp, but no need to rush the veteran back.  He's quietly one of the most important players on the team.

Archived