• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers waive Ryan Delaire and Charles Johnson (WR)

Jeremy Igo

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's this thing called a salary cap...

And oh yeah, it's still gonna apply next year too, and the year after that, and on and on.

I'm sure it would be fun to be like the Cowboys of the 90s and just outspend everybody, but you can't actually do that anymore.

I'm very well aware of the cap and spending like there's no tomorrow. I'm also aware of being miserly to the point where it's really counterproductive. The GMs that get their team over the top know when to spend and when to hold. It has never been an all-or-nothing proposition.

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I'm very well aware of the cap and spending like there's no tomorrow. I'm also aware of being miserly to the point where it's really counterproductive. The GMs that get their team over the top know when to spend and when to hold. It has never been an all-or-nothing proposition.

And our prior GM had built up a pretty good track record of keeping us competitive while also having the cap space to extend important players.

Our current GM's record on that front is not so good.

27 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

*Sigh*

He's proven plenty. Far more potential than Charles Johnson had coming in. 

Why, because you show a few gifs?

I like Funchess, but the only thing that he has proven to me is that he deserves more opportunities. This doesn't mean that he's really done anything, but film can be a good indicator of potential. But potential does not equal production. You seem to have a hard time realizing that fact.

If you look at simple yardage---production, which is admittedly a simplistic way to judge worth at a position, this will be Shepard's 5th season, and Funchess has more yards his rookie season than Shepard has his entire career. And it's not like the respective WR corps have been stocked full of talent which means that if you're talented you should be able to make a good accounting of yourself.

Last year, Shepard had his best year, but 192 yards came in three games (two of which who had very shaky defenses). 

So, yeah, Shepard has a way to go before he proves that he can make it purely as a receiver. So far, even with his perfect opportunity last year, he hasn't done it.

Potential is not the same as production. If you've been in the league for four years and have only 400 something receiving yards that should not fill anyone with the he confidence that you are a legitimate starter or even necessarily decent depth at a position.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And our prior GM had built up a pretty good track record of keeping us competitive while also having the cap space to extend important players.

Our current GM's record on that front is not so good.

Competitiveness is great and all, but like you said about Rivera, he has no rings. Hell, he didn't even have two consecutive winning seasons (like his predecessor-successor), and failed miserably in his quest to help what most people considered a potential world beater to get a championship when he had a pretty good look to do so. 

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Realistically putting every single one of Shepard's snaps is not feasible. Those kind of arguments are perhaps the most pathetic and unreasonable. The GIFs are showing exactly what I saw in a smaller scale. Not sugar-coating anything, showing you what I saw in a smaller sample size.

But I've watched his every snap last year, if that's what you're wondering. 

21 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I like Funchess, but the only thing that he has proven to me is that he deserves more opportunities. This doesn't mean that he's really done anything, but film can be a good indicator of potential. But potential does not equal production. You seem to have a hard time realizing that fact.

If you look at simple yardage---production, which is admittedly a simplistic way to judge worth at a position, this will be Shepard's 5th season, and Funchess has more yards his rookie season than Shepard has his entire career. And it's not like the respective WR corps have been stocked full of talent which means that if you're talented you should be able to make a good accounting of yourself.

Last year, Shepard had his best year, but 192 yards came in three games (two of which who had very shaky defenses). 

So, yeah, Shepard has a way to go before he proves that he can make it purely as a receiver. So far, even with his perfect opportunity last year, he hasn't done it.

Potential is not the same as production. If you've been in the league for four years and have only 400 something receiving yards that should not fill anyone with the he confidence that you are a legitimate starter or even necessarily decent depth at a position.

This Saca guy did a thread on Charles Johnson saying how he can replace Ted Ginn LOL, his evidence a few gifs. 

Well so much for replacing Ginn

Shepard couldn't beat out Adam Humphries, whose Tampa's 4th string receiver. I won't be surprised if they cut him and bring in someone 

i found the thread LOL

Just now, Saca312 said:

Realistically putting every single one of Shepard's snaps is not feasible. Those kind of arguments are perhaps the most pathetic and unreasonable. The GIFs are showing exactly what I saw in a smaller scale. Not sugar-coating anything, showing you what I saw in a smaller sample size.

But I've watched his every snap last year, if that's what you're wondering. 

Looking at every snap is for PFF. The gifs are not really relevant to the argument as to whether the guy has produced AS A RECEIVER. It's obvious---TOTALLY OBVIOUS---that he has NOT!

The "pathetic and unreasonable" part of your reply does not apply. You are the one that said something about "sugarcoating" something, not me. You can't sugarcoat 400+ yards in four years. Sure there may be some untapped potential, but you hardly "run with" a guy that has produced so little at  a position that still has plenty of question marks to anyone who is trying to be the slightest bit objective.

Neither Shepard, Johnson, Graham or even Funchess are enough for me to say "Hey, I feel super confident about our receiving corps!" This is not to say that they won't have long and productive careers, but so far they've basically done very little. Why can't you get that without seeing it as some type of attack, personal or otherwise?

Archived