• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers waive Ryan Delaire and Charles Johnson (WR)

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Well, my question is why bring in CJ0 in the first place, and why hang on to Delaire who could have and probably should have been axed last offseason? I already know what people will answer, but I obviously have higher standards.

Every team in the league signs free agents that don't make the squad. In this case, both releases look to be medical.

Also worth remembering that Rivera was a fan of Delaire.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Every team in the league signs free agents that don't make the squad. In this case, both releases look to be medical.

Also worth remembering that Rivera was a fan of Delaire.

Well see that was I was referring to when I said that I have higher standards. When you arguably have positions that need depth (DE), and, more importantly, a position that has been a weakness for years (WR), you can't afford to just bring in a guy that has zero chance of making the roster. Bring in the willy nilly camp bodies for the positions where you're strong, not the ones where you are weak. Throwing darts to see if they will stick is not a good way to fill a position of need.

15 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Well see that was I was referring to when I said that I have higher standards. When you arguably have positions that need depth (DE), and, more importantly, a position that has been a weakness for years (WR), you can't afford to just bring in a guy that has zero chance of making the roster. Bring in the willy nilly camp bodies for the positions where you're strong, not the ones where you are weak. Throwing darts to see if they will stick is not a good way to fill a position of need.

Again, every team has guys they bring in that don't make it. The camp roster is 90 players.

Unless you want to be one of those guys who think every other team is three deep with pro bowl talent at every position, some of the guys you take to camp are only going to be average to good.

Add in that we drafted two players that are perfectly suited to help the passing game, both of whom will be cheaper over the next few seasons than any free agent we could have signed. And we signed a receiver on the rise in Russell Shepard.

The "higher standard" notion is silly.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Again, every team has guys they bring in that don't make it. The camp roster is 90 players.

Unless you want to be one of those guys who think every other team is three deep with pro bowl talent at every position, some of the guys you take to camp are only going to be average to good.

Add in that we drafted two players that are perfectly suited to help the passing game, both of whom will be cheaper over the next few seasons than any free agent we could have signed. And we signed a receiver on the rise in Russell Shepard.

The "higher standard" notion is silly.

Russell Shepard has proven nothing in the NFL as a receiver. He has less career yards than Charles Johnson (and TJ Graham). Believe all the hype you want about our receiving corps,  just like every year, but it's real silly to rely on rookies (especially an RB) and unknowns to legitimately bolster a receiving corps that has needed upgrading, without trying to legitimately hedge your bets. To keep doing what you've been doing is what's silly.

Also silly is the really tired Huddle argument, that gives itself to silly hyperbole, that "you can't expect pro bowlers at every position," when the preponderance of people who simply desire a GM to put his best foot forward already know this. To me it's just a way to make yourself feel better about the shortcomings of your GM and/or your position group. 

There is really no reason in the world why we couldn't have done better than Charles Johnson. None!

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Russell Shepard has proven nothing in the NFL as a receiver. He has less career yards than Charles Johnson (and TJ Graham). Believe all the hype you want about our receiving corps,  just like every year, but it's real silly to rely on rookies (especially an RB) and unknowns to legitimately bolster a receiving corps that has needed upgrading, without trying to legitimately hedge your bets. To keep doing what you've been doing is what's silly.

Also silly is the really tired Huddle argument, that gives itself to silly hyperbole, that "you can't expect pro bowlers at every position," when the preponderance of people who simply desire a GM to put his best foot forward already know this. To me it's just a way to make yourself feel better about the shortcomings of your GM and/or your position group. 

There is really no reason in the world why we couldn't have done better than Charles Johnson. None!

There's this thing called a salary cap...

And oh yeah, it's still gonna apply next year too, and the year after that, and on and on.

I'm sure it would be fun to be like the Cowboys of the 90s and just outspend everybody, but you can't actually do that anymore.

Archived