• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OK, time to sound off like you got a pair. Who is the 2017 surprise veteran cut?

Jeremy Igo

28 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

Got it.  First cut is DG's main man Chris Scott. Makes no sense because he is solid depth and doesn't save that much but that is going to be the move.

I thought about Scott, but I say he stays because of being inexpensive and "solid depth," just like you mentioned. 

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I am not saying that he won't make the roster because the way that Rivera runs his "competition" he probably will. Plus, you can't ignore his body of work as a special teamer. But my thing is that---as a receiver---he isn't that much different than CJ2 or TJ as far as his career production and impact in the league are concerned. As a matter of fact, his stats are easily considered worse (look them up). Moreover, I am saying that his ST ability and great attitude shouldn't necessarily trump the potential, upside and opportunity of guys that may default back to the practice squad because of Rivera's seemingly incorrigible judgement as it pertains to giving these guys a real opportunity to compete.

Don't get me wrong. If Shepard comes in, makes an impact, and absolutely showcases his superiority over the others in the preseason games, I will happily accept it, but a this point (at least in my mind), it's much too early to be declaring him a lock.

I just was curious.  I'm not comfortable using the word "lock" myself just yet, but I will say that I'd be surprised if he gets cut. 

2016 was the first time he played over 19% of Tampa's total offensive snaps (38%) and began to start showing signs he can produce at WR.  Does his nearly 350 yards and 40 targets jump off the page at you?  Nah, of course not, but it's more game experience than Garrett or Ross and that combined with his ST's contributions, is why I say I'd be fairly surprised if he doesn't make the squad.

3 hours ago, Your GFs favorite huddler said:

Does Joe Webb count?

Def see gano as a possibility as well

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I'm actually always a little surprised when Webb doesn't get cut. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against the guy...just not sure what he brings to the party other than be a life long ST guy. He's not quite good enough to play QB, not quite good enough to play WR, hell; maybe we should try him at TE.

And Gano's replacement was already drafted. I'd be shocked if he didn't get cut.

I'm actually always a little surprised when Webb doesn't get cut. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against the guy...just not sure what he brings to the party other than be a life long ST guy. He's not quite good enough to play QB, not quite good enough to play WR, hell; maybe we should try him at TE.
And Gano's replacement was already drafted. I'd be shocked if he didn't get cut.

Yea the curious case of Joe webb is always perplexing. There have been several players I would have rather used a roster spot on, an active game day one too boot. Don't have a problem with the guy but I think it's time to move on. Might be wishful thinking with the way RR covets those effort guys.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

4 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Can you justify not carrying 3 with Cam coming off of surgery, and playing the style that he does?

Especially given that he is getting up in years (and hits) now.

I think we might see us still carry three QBs, I just don't know if we're going to keep Webb. At his age, we've seen his ceiling, but vet minimums for his experience are $900k this year, $915k next year and $1,030,000 the year after that. That's a lot of money wrapped up in a QB3, WR7 and ST gunner. I like him and think he's a good player, but age and economics might mean we go with a younger QB3 with an eye at training him up to be a QB2.

And no, I don't know if his replacement is at Wofford checking into training camp right now. We might snag someone from out in the league after the first cuts of preseason. Maybe it's Gilbert (his Dad did play for five consecutive Superb Owl teams ... maybe the luck carries down), but I really don't know enough about him to say.

Archived