• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers "Move in" Day thread

Jeremy Igo

Greg Olsen and Marty Hurney had a "great conversation" about where contract is at & ultimately didn't want to add to chaos, distract team.

I would bet one of my feet something eventually does get done with Olsen, and I would think he received that same assurance from upstairs.

3 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

He's contradicting himself. Does he want to talk or not? Please Greg, just play ball.

He's just saying that hopefully talks can continue in a professional manner, but he isn't going out of his way to initiate them b/c the off-season is now over and doesn't want to be the source of any distractions for the team.  What I would expect from a team captain.

The guy knows he blew the top off our FO and now has to cover. I'm sorry, it's true. Yet people will keep saying "we don't know." He doesn't get any leadership points for pushing it and then backing off after something blows up.

I'm not gonna be happy with him for a long time.

13 minutes ago, dpm0409 said:

He's just saying that hopefully talks can continue in a professional manner, but he isn't going out of his way to initiate them b/c the off-season is now over and doesn't want to be the source of any distractions for the team.  What I would expect from a team captain.

The way those tweets read, it didn't look that way.

15 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

Greg Olsen said Panthers have given him no promises an extension will be done. His plan is to play out contract and try to win a Super Bowl.

Basically this is how I see it shaking out:

10:50 AM:
Steve Reed‏Verified account @SteveReedAP
Greg Olsen said Panthers have given him no promises an extension will be done. His plan is to play out contract and try to win a Super Bowl.

11:15AM
Steve Reed‏Verified account @SteveReedAP
BREAKING: Greg Olsen agrees to 5 year 90 million dollar extension. 

So TD is holding out...?

If so, I surely hope we don't budge and overpay. As much as I love TD, Shaq needs to see more of the field this year. He was a first round pick for goodness sakes, he's shown flashes of the impact he can bring to the defense.

• Center Ryan Kalil is not yet fully cleared following last year’s shoulder surgery. He said he still has some rehab work to do but he will be “ready to go by Week 1.”
  •  Second-year corner Daryl Worley said the locker room is not concerned about and will not discuss the major front-office shift Panthers owner Jerry Richardson implemented last week. Richardson fired general manager Dave Gettleman last Monday and replaced him with interim GM (and former longtime GM) Marty Hurney.
  • Receiver Devin Funchess did not join quarterback Cam Newton and many other receivers for throwing drills and workouts in Baltimore. Funchess, who expects his role to expand this season, said his grandfather had to have a health procedure so he was attending to that instead of going to Baltimore.

▪  Rookie receiver Curtis Samuel’s mother dropped him off at camp – but did maintain the “cool parent” amount of distance as he walked into the dorms.

•  

Some of the training camp veterans realize that there is no such thing as a completely drama-free camp. Safety Kurt Coleman noted that last year many of the first-day questions were about the departure of cornerback Josh Norman. This time they were about the departure of the man who made that decision – Gettleman.

▪  Tight end Greg Olsen said he thought it would have been “selfish” for him to conduct a training-camp holdout even though he still would like a new contract. He’s right - Olsen holding out would have been a major distraction.

▪  Rookie running back and No. 8 overall pick Christian McCaffrey arrived at camp on Monday night, forgoing the traditional walk-in.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article163472168.html

Archived