• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers player position swap - who?

Jeremy Igo

KB to TE ain't happening. Despite his issues (weight, injury and drops), he's a WR1 currently and he hasn't gotten his big WR1 paycheck yet.  He'll get it here or somewhere else. No way he gives that up for TE money based on a recommendation from an interim GM with a history of failed position conversion experiments.

i was thinking maybe Daryl Williams to Guard as possible replacement for Norwell if those contract negotiations don't work out.

23 minutes ago, carolina-chuck3 said:

Jeremy, you know better than to even talk about KB to TE. Cmon man. Youre like JR now. The older you get, you dumber you become.

I am not saying what I would do, I am saying what Hurney might do. 

Big difference. 

2 hours ago, Vagrant said:

Kelvin Benjamin blocks terribly for a WR. Holding penalty after holding penalty. Plus, TE get paid so much less money by scale than WR, so moving a productive WR from that position to TE would basically be asking them to depreciate their personal stock by a significant margin and their agent would laugh in your face. Plus, the point about gaining weight is not that KB has trouble staying at his weight it's that he has trouble putting in the work to stay at his weight. If you move him to a position that allows for him to come in heavy, he probably falls off the map. It would be like saying "why not move Eddie Lacy to FB it would solve everything!" when in reality, the weight itself isn't the problem. it's what the weight gain says about his commitment to the game. 

I agree with the holding penalties on KB at WR, but to be faor, it is a lot harder to block out in space like that. I've played LT for 2 years and TE for 8, and I swear LT was easier haha

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hurney recently told Rivera some ideas on changing players positions. 

Who are they 

My three best guesses (not that I agree with ANY of them)

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/07/23/carolina-panthers-position-swap/

Who do you think he was talking about?

I would love the cash move, butler depends on rotation as we generally kept our d-line on the move. 

KB however, I just can't see it from a coaching or personnel aspect. He is not a true to form blocker. At best it would be a "sheep in wolfs clothing" deal. 

The KB move has logic behind it from a "measurables" point of view. It's why it's been brought up plenty of times over the years. But his subpar blocking at WR, and lack of "toughness" at times would suggest otherwise. And I doubt KB would be happy at all with it, given the financial ramifications of such a move. Now, turning Funchess into a "Jordan Reed" type of move TE, could work. Get him away from CBs he can't get separation from. And he hasn't had enough success to complain about any position move.

Jeremy Cash is not an NFL safety. He went undrafted because of his lack of coverage skills. Now he's much bigger. Shouldn't ever be considered. 

I see no issue with Butler playing some early down snaps at DE. Let him play when Mario needs a rest. He could play 20% of those snaps, plus his rotation at DT, and get close to starter snaps. I see a huge leap from him coming. 

Archived