• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers player position swap - who?

Jeremy Igo

cut Dickson ! use that money on Star .   Try KB, Bersen, and Funchess at the TE position and see who fits best.  Moving Cash to strong safety puts a good player on the field because the LB position is now deep. Also see if Armah who played TE in college could be a blocking TE.  Trying Butler at DE for a few snaps or moving Short there for a few snaps might rest Peppers and Johnson .  Consider the options.

Kelvin Benjamin blocks terribly for a WR. Holding penalty after holding penalty. Plus, TE get paid so much less money by scale than WR, so moving a productive WR from that position to TE would basically be asking them to depreciate their personal stock by a significant margin and their agent would laugh in your face. Plus, the point about gaining weight is not that KB has trouble staying at his weight it's that he has trouble putting in the work to stay at his weight. If you move him to a position that allows for him to come in heavy, he probably falls off the map. It would be like saying "why not move Eddie Lacy to FB it would solve everything!" when in reality, the weight itself isn't the problem. it's what the weight gain says about his commitment to the game. 

As far as the actual position changes are concerned, I could see Cash as being a guy that the organization would consider moving around considering he's not far into his transition into becoming a linebacker. Shaq Thompson is another guy that I would be curious about. He might play better in space because he gets lost a lot at the LOS because he's a little undersized for a linebacker. I would suspect the moves are mostly interior linemen to the outside or DT to DE as was mentioned. Curious what they'd think about Short moving up and down the line on passing downs. It's so hard to produce from the interior defensive line and it might help maximize his production to have him line up over tackles sometimes. 

Maybe I'm in the minority, and I understand the concerns in the OP and other responses, but I think all those moves make sense. Especially the first two. Didn't Cash play safety in college?

And Butler at DE sounds like a recipe for RBs to poo their pants. Think about it, Johnson - KK - Star - Butler? That's a mean lineup that could get adequate pass rush too if it turns out not to be a run.

I even understand moving KB to TE. But I agree with @catnip that the better moves might be Funchess and Bersin to TE. They both might be instant upgrades to Dickson and Simonson. Would be a great way to not let their talent go to waste. Would also open up two spots on the WR depth chart. So instead of Igo's projection of KB, Funch, Samuel, Shepard plus two unknowns... we would have KB, Samuel, Shepard, Reciever Johnson, Dameire Byrd and Austin Duke? That's just speculation based on Igo's other thread, but DAMN that makes our WR core quick as a fug. And it's not hollow talent either. 

All three of those moves make sense for fielding the best team possible IMHO

I think he's going to rehash the Silotolu to Tackle idea.  He played LT in college and moved inside after he was drafted.  They could move him there and keep him there all year to see if it works. 

Cash at SS makes a lot of sense to me.  He can't be any worse than Boston.

Butler getting snaps at DE also makes a lot of sense to me.

Of the WRs, only Benjamin has the weight to play TE.  But as you mentioned, the top TEs don't make nearly what the top WRs do, KB can already line up in half the positions that Olsen does and run the same routes, and he's just not there where blocking is concerned.

1 minute ago, ARSEN said:

I think Funchess to TE.  He is identical to KB but less physical.

He's not identical to KB but even if he was and you're right about him being less physical, why in the hell would you want the less physical guy to be a TE? You do know that blocking is major part of their job, right?

Archived