• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could the reason be as simple as winning the Superbowl this year?

Jeremy Igo

Why the hell does firing DG hurt our chances of making the SB in the next 2 years? We have the players already and now we will have a GM more willing to spend for the short term. This is a perfect scenario to win now. Beyond that, who knows. 

1 hour ago, pantherphan96 said:

Hard to keep the OL intact when your owner strongarms the GM into giving out huge contracts to veterans. He's in his physical peak now and after 30 his athleticism will deteriorate. Love Cam but he takes a lot of punishment and won't be playing to 40 like Brees/Brady. More likely to follow Roethlisberger's career path and be winding down around 35-36.

We need to move past this "athleticism" thinking and realize the potential Cam's skill set is. Think Cam's arm in Tom Brady's body. The potential is unlimited if we quit thinking Cam must run to succeed. Protect the Franchise must be Job 1 every year.

It was inevitable that Gettleman would be gone as soon as his gettlemagic wore off. He was a star in 2015 and a disaster in 2016. He singlehandedly sunk our chances last year with his ego and hubris. He pissed people off and didn't care. He was a great hatchet guy but couldn't make the leap to sustainer as he cared more about film and athleticism than intangibles and leadership. Chemistry and continuity were totally lost on him. He mouthed the words but his actions belied his rhetoric. Hence why we couldn't sustain success from year to year. Fruit basket turnover and little continuity. Hopefully the new GM can sustain success now that the dirty work is done.

26 minutes ago, Kevin Greene said:

We need to move past this "athleticism" thinking and realize the potential Cam's skill set is. Think Cam's arm in Tom Brady's body. The potential is unlimited if we quit thinking Cam must run to succeed. Protect the Franchise must be Job 1 every year.

Like it or not Cam does not have the kind of accuracy or anticipation that a HOF like Brady has. Cam is certainly better at the mental facet of the game than most commentators say he is but it is his athleticism that makes him a generational talent. 

We need to keep this OL intact for him and completely get rid of designed QB runs and emphasize passing from the pocket, while at the same time not dissuading him from the kind of scrambling improvisation that makes him so dangerous for opposing defenses to contain.

7 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

Like it or not Cam does not have the kind of accuracy or anticipation that a HOF like Brady has. Cam is certainly better at the mental facet of the game than most commentators say he is but it is his athleticism that makes him a generational talent. 

We need to keep this OL intact for him and completely get rid of designed QB runs and emphasize passing from the pocket, while at the same time not dissuading him from the kind of scrambling improvisation that makes him so dangerous for opposing defenses to contain.

We disagree on Cam's upside.

In bold we agree.

To sum up Cam can't maybe do all the things Brady can do, but all his life there's things he can do Brady never could.

I believe Cam can win multiple Lombardis.

5 hours ago, pantherphan96 said:

I'd rather have a 5-7 year window than what is basically a 2 year window. If we don't win by 2019 I doubt we will have another chance during Cam's career.

And most fans would agree.  But maybe that's just it.  Dave has said he doesn't believe in windows.  But Jerry probably does.  His own personal window is certainly closing... So, there could be merit in Igo's speculation that Jerry wants to go all in, whatever the cost... throw money at TD and Greg, etc.

But honestly, I'm not sure letting your GM go on the eve of training camp, with no asst GM or team president in place, is really a good recipe for winning the super bowl.  I think we've just distracted tons of players who will be up for contracts in the coming year. (Norwell, Turner, KB, Star....)

9 hours ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

How is this going to help us win the SB? I'm not saying we can't or won't, but I just don't see how this can help. TD and Olsen are pros and they are not going to play any harder if they get paid again.

As weird as it sounds, the players might actually show up to camp happy as hell that Gettleman is gone. Whether that translates to production or not will be interesting to see. The problem is that pesky hard salary cap the NFL has and the fact that no matter how family oriented JR wants this team to be, all that love and harmony won't let you pay TD and Olsen and Star and Turner and Norwell and on it goes. 

I wish we could pay guys with just matching heart necklaces and BFF bracelets but we can't. The next 5-10 years of this franchise's fate just started today. 

Lets hope it all works out. If we get a Lombardi this year then I couldn't care less about how we do it. 

10 hours ago, thebigcat said:

No just a stubborn old man not getting his way so he fired one of the best things that happened to his franchise.... Remember, he consulted with a friend in Ernie Acorsi in the search for Gettleman

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

It was a business move...time to move on Gman,nothing personal...he needs to land in a LA type situation...it's the Buford Pusser Effect...

4 hours ago, KB_fan said:

And most fans would agree.  But maybe that's just it.  Dave has said he doesn't believe in windows.  But Jerry probably does.  His own personal window is certainly closing...

Bingo, people are not understanding this fact. 

Jerry likely doesn't have years. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Bingo, people are not understanding this fact. 

Jerry likely doesn't have years. 

No, I get it and understand completely, with this being the week of my Mother's birthday and deathday...

But, this just feels reactionary. And nothing good comes from being reactionary.

Archived