• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could the reason be as simple as winning the Superbowl this year?

Jeremy Igo

get a gm that actually makes moves and doesnt dumpster dive even tho he did pretty good this offseason but we could have got stars for decent money in freeagency 

It's not quite as easy as in Madden.

I Loved Norman but not 5 year 75 mil likes.
Didn't like the way the tag went down but no way should we pay him that big money. You could kiss KK, Trai, Norwall, and Star goodby. He valued the younger Trench guys hitting their prime vs a Vet that just came off 1.5 good seasons. I think many GMs would. Only fault was the tag.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I know the TD and Olsen restructures are front and center in the theories which may be partially true but I don't think this alone would have caused JR to spill his Bojangles tea let alone fire his GM.  I think that DG is the Shannon Daugherty of the NFL...

Maybe he pisses everyone off and no one wants to work with/for him.   Some quarrels in the public eye and appear more prominent but I bet it goes deeper.  Wonder if there were some parting shots by Beene also?

JR might be a bit temperamental himself.  He has both sons out of the org, not much front office left at this point.

Shooting himself and the org in the foot over emotions.  Very temperamental, not a good sign.  Sort of a cross between George Stienbrenner and Al Davis.

Afraid we will go back to talking draft around here by the first of November, like it used to be 

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Could this be a short sighted move that was made to go "all in" on 2017? Could it be as simple as that?

Sure, it's poor judgement I think but it's possible. We're finally, finally out of Salary Cap hell. Whatever we do going forward we need to stay smart financially. No mortgaging the future to grasp at an elusive trophy. We'll get there, stay the course.

1 hour ago, pantherphan96 said:

I'd rather have a 5-7 year window than what is basically a 2 year window. If we don't win by 2019 I doubt we will have another chance during Cam's career.

Nonsense, Cam is only 28. If we play it smart and keep the Oline a top priority he's going to be at his peak in two years and a few beyond.

It may be silly, but I find it hard to believe that firing a guy as universally hated by everyone as Gettleman was can be a bad thing in any context. I know it's not an easy job, but even guys that worked directly with the man had no positive things to say about him other than his eye for talent evaluation. People resigning left and right. Former players talking about how much of a jerkoff he is. Front office guys going to different places. Coaches avoiding the subject all together. There's NOBODY beating the drum for this guy in public right now. I think that says all you need to know. Our free agent retention has been terrible. It's cool to find all these hidden gems, but it seems like they leave at the first available opportunity or make negotiations as hard as possible. 

There needs to be a certain atmosphere of fun around the team, and it's hard to have fun when you know that there's no loyalty at the top of the organization. For a man that has been all about loyalty and relationships in the big cat, it wasn't a good fit. The timing is weird, but I wouldn't be surprised if it amounted to some hard line with TD or Greg that Gettleman wasn't willing to cross and Richardson wouldn't accept that. Probably considered JR to be meddling in his job. 

1 hour ago, stirs said:

JR might be a bit temperamental himself.  He has both sons out of the org, not much front office left at this point.

Shooting himself and the org in the foot over emotions.  Very temperamental, not a good sign.  Sort of a cross between George Stienbrenner and Al Davis.

Afraid we will go back to talking draft around here by the first of November, like it used to be 

Don't forget his public relations person walked out the door this year and now he is charging for fan fest. Only reason he wants Olsen and Davis on the team is to sell jerseys and make him more money. He has proven time and time again he gives 0 fugs about winning. 

1 hour ago, Kevin Greene said:

Nonsense, Cam is only 28. If we play it smart and keep the Oline a top priority he's going to be at his peak in two years and a few beyond.

Hard to keep the OL intact when your owner strongarms the GM into giving out huge contracts to veterans. He's in his physical peak now and after 30 his athleticism will deteriorate. Love Cam but he takes a lot of punishment and won't be playing to 40 like Brees/Brady. More likely to follow Roethlisberger's career path and be winding down around 35-36.

Archived