• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers fire Dave Gettleman - A few thoughts

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, Montsta said:

If Jerry had thoughts of this before and let Beane go he is an idiot. If he did this as a knee jerk reaction to contract negotiations with a beloved aging vet, he is an even bigger idiot. 

Either way, welcome aboard the crazy train. 

This a thousand times.

Time to take the keys away from crazy Grandpa Jerry.

Wow. I'm in shock.

Don't like this news at all.  It really kills the positive and excitement that's been building this offseason with free agency and the draft.

So, we're about to start training camp and have no GM, no assistant GM, and no team president.  Sounds like a huge distraction to me.

If, as speculated, this is about new contracts for TD & Greg, I'm also really worried.  I love both of those guys, and they deserve more money, but extensions for both of them are problematic, especially for Greg.  He still has two years on his contract.  If we give him an expensive new one it could set a terrible precedent.  We just got out of cap hell.  I don't want to be back in it right away.

Count me among the worried.  Very worried.

2 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Wow. I'm in shock.

Don't like this news at all.  It really kills the positive and excitement that's been building this offseason with free agency and the draft.

So, we're about to start training camp and have no GM, no assistant GM, and no team president.  Sounds like a huge distraction to me.

If, as speculated, this is about new contracts for TD & Greg, I'm also really worried.  I love both of those guys, and they deserve more money, but extensions for both of them are problematic, especially for Greg.  He still has two years on his contract.  If we give him an expensive new one it could set a terrible precedent.  We just got out of cap hell.  I don't want to be back in it right away.

Count me among the worried.  Very worried.

Last year, some players definitely half-assed with the Norman poo. TD and Greg bickering over contracts I don't think would have went well with the rest of the players and I think JR wasn't going to have a repeat and I definitely believe Gettleman was thinking of the future. So it was best to split.

The timing of it all is the biggest issue

This is bullshit.  Olsen is trying to get more $$ because he's going to see the ball less with Mccaffery and Samuels. He knows his 1000 yard seasons are behind him and he's trying to cash in.  Can't say I fault his thinking, but the dude signed a contract 2 years ago and has 2 years left.  

Not sure what to think about TD. I'd hoped he wanted an extension, but nothing earth shattering, just some security that he'd retire a Panther.

This move makes no sense if it's about Olsen and TD.  Regardless, it seems like a knee jerk reaction.  

6 hours ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Waking up to this news is confusing.  I'm trying to digest it. I can't stop shaking my head to this news. 

This is the most reasonable and honest answer in this, or any other, thread.  This is confusing, and nobody not directly involved can truly know what actually led to this decision.  Logic does dictate, though, that something happened recently that forced JR to make such a drastic decision this time of year.

Not one person here knows all of the facts, or even has a basic understanding of what was/is going on behind closed doors.  So getting mad and venting as if what you say is fact is actually quite silly...and pointless.  

14 hours ago, Montsta said:

Let's fire the guy who is largely responsible for the most successful period in the franchise's history because he won't give outrageous extensions to aging veterans?

Welcome Huddle, we will now know what it's like to live in Jerry Jones and Al Davis world where the meddlesome owner fugs poo up on the reg.

If Jerry had thoughts of this before and let Beane go he is an idiot. If he did this as a knee jerk reaction to contract negotiations with a beloved aging vet, he is an even bigger idiot. 

Either way, welcome aboard the crazy train. 

out of the blue, much like bojanles sh!t...

20 hours ago, pantherphan96 said:

I don't give a poo about appeasing multi-millionaires. You signed a contract, you agreed to your compensation, that's what you get. This isn't a family business, it's a cutthroat league. You think Belicheck or Robert Kraft lose a wink of sleep at night thinking about giving veteran players contract extensions?

Yeah cause New England championships are all rigged as fug, in all sports, because the Boston market is huge and success in it is a must, and you can control your success ... if you rig them some rings and make that nice big market think the teams are good

12 hours ago, blackcat said:

This is bullshit.  Olsen is trying to get more $$ because he's going to see the ball less with Mccaffery and Samuels. He knows his 1000 yard seasons are behind him and he's trying to cash in.  Can't say I fault his thinking, but the dude signed a contract 2 years ago and has 2 years left.  

Not sure what to think about TD. I'd hoped he wanted an extension, but nothing earth shattering, just some security that he'd retire a Panther.

This move makes no sense if it's about Olsen and TD.  Regardless, it seems like a knee jerk reaction.  

Holy poo y'all are some non-loyal, quick to backstab motherfugers

"oh you greedy, sorry ass Greg Olsen... always worryin' about your stats and all!!!"

36 minutes ago, Bronn said:

"oh you greedy, sorry ass Greg Olsen... always worryin' about your stats and all!!!"

I'll never blame players for trying to get whatever they can, but sometimes giving them what they want is not what's best for the team.

A father who always says yes to whatever his kids want is not going to have a successful family.

1 hour ago, Bronn said:

Many of us are loyal to the Panthers first and foremost...some of us focus on the numbers more than others, and some of us know that paying TD big money is a bad idea, as is extending GO with two years left on his deal.

Both are great players, and have been wonderful Panthers, and men, but that doesn't mean there can't be some tough love here.

TD and GO are signed through the 17 season, with Olsen being signed for 2 more seasons.

The point, other than running off the best GM we have ever had, is that this comes off as an extremely "feelings" motivated move, and leaves the Panthers with an enormous power void at the top...and a coach who can't be trusted with personnel moves.

It's just  a stupid thing to do at this time....period.

1 hour ago, Bronn said:

Never called him 'greedy' or a 'sorry ass'.  He's a great TE and a great person, we're lucky to have him on the team.  Him wanting a new contract with 2 years left sets a bad precedent for the team, one that DG might not have been willing to do.  

On 7/17/2017 at 2:52 PM, FireTom said:

I disagree, we paid smitty 7 mil to leave us and he played 3 more very productive years. Josh Norman was the best corner in the league, willing to sign the tag and give us a discounted contract. DWill maybe the right move but handled very poorly. TD and Olsen are at the top of the game at their positions. A simple extension is not asking a ton. The are value assets. We can't ask loyalty from our players but never show loyalty back in return.

There is no loyalty in the NFL.. Big money for old guys in the NFL is like putting a new engine in a 15 year old car you are going to get rid of in a year. 

A simple extension is asking a ton when you have your 2 best offensive lineman and a key defensive lineman entering their UFA years. Gotta pay for the future. Can't do that if all of your money is sunk in the past..

Archived