• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers fire Dave Gettleman - A few thoughts

Jeremy Igo

31 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Yes, you force his hand.  He signed the contract....honor it.

Being happy means jack poo in the NFL.  It's nice when the players are....like 2015, but it isn't the end all be all. 

i remember the good ole days of hurney when all our vets were happy with the GM and their big fat contracts and we went 7-9 and 8-8 every year

1 hour ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

The way JR treats his front office staff, I can't imagine anyone worth a damn wanting to work here. He is making a bad impression across the league and kind of always has 

What the heck are you talking about? Based on what?

I understand the outrage but I've said multiple times I had no idea what the direction of the franchise was or identity, or what dg's methods were, he kinda was all over the place in his plans. Especially if your methods cause disgruntlement with players, you need consistent results, that we've only seen one franchise in sports achieve with such methods, and that's the patriots

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

LOL @ all you harbingers of the apocalypse...

Name for me the GMs of the past 10 super bowl winners...

Here, I will do it for you:

2007-2008: Jerry Reese with Eli Manning at QB, first year GM. Eli Effing Manning. Derp.

2008-2009: Kevin Colbert was a Director of Football Operations... he didn't get a GM title until 2010. Pittsburgh didn't even have an official GM and won the Superb Owl.

2009-2010: Mickey Loomis. An effing cheater on an effing cheating team.

2010-2011: Ted Thompson. Probably one of the best, most tenured GMs on this list.

2011-2012: Jerry Reese gets another one.

2012-2013: Ozzie Newsome. He gets his second ring with this win as a GM.

2013-2014: John Schneider. But Pete Carroll was calling a lot of the shots.

2014-2015: fug a GM. They got Belichick and Brady.

2015-2016: Elway. I mean, the guy is a legendary QB getting better at the GM game. Plus they were playing a Shula offense that was gonna Shula.

2016-2017: fug a GM. Again.

So yeah, It doesn't all revolve around the GM, and it doesn't take some savvy businessman godfather gangster goomba. Put your squad together and get them to play together. Profit.

Greg Olsen and TD have now had a hand in undermining our old GM and getting him ultimately fired. Potential options for a quality replacement are low and will cast the rest of the organizational structure (coaching staff) into doubt. I'm sorry but I have a hard time cheering for those two guys now. They fuged us long term because they want more money. They can and will retire at any time they want.

He was about to run off some of our best players in due time and has in the past. Players that the entire team look up to and respect. Now screw that up then the entire team is against DG and then the locker room will get worse then the organization as a whole. YES this is the worst time it could have happened but it could have also saved a nightmare future, time will only tell. But to not cheer for 2 of the best on the team and best in the league is absurd.

Keep Pounding

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Making the playoffs and SB runs is what makes the fans happy. Our training camp attendance after the 2015 season was a record and that was with no Smith, Williams or Norman. Fans like winning, period. They don't want a shitty team was guys they remember being studs.

Paying players ridiculous contracts got Hurney fired and paying players more than they are worth creates a bad team, hence how we got Cam #1 overall and Gettleman after 2012.

Wins and losses do not translate to $$$ when the team has a PSL-based ticket program. Happy or unhappy fans, the stadium is a sell-out every home game for the past 10 years or something. 

Don't confuse empty seats/filled stadium and unhappy/overjoyed fans with revenue. JR has your money whether this team goes 14-2 or 2-14. 

The only fans who really pay attention to contracts and GM talks and all that are message board dwellers with nothing else to do. 9 out of 10 fans who sit around you in BOA will have no clue what the back story was behind Gettelman's firing or TD's supposed disdain for Gettelman, nor do they really care.  

25 minutes ago, Bronn said:

LOL @ all you harbingers of the apocalypse...

Name for me the GMs of the past 10 super bowl winners...

Here, I will do it for you:

2007-2008: Jerry Reese with Eli Manning at QB, first year GM. Eli Effing Manning. Derp.

2008-2009: Kevin Colbert was a Director of Football Operations... he didn't get a GM title until 2010. Pittsburgh didn't even have an official GM and won the Superb Owl.

2009-2010: Mickey Loomis. An effing cheater on an effing cheating team.

2010-2011: Ted Thompson. Probably one of the best, most tenured GMs on this list.

2011-2012: Jerry Reese gets another one.

2012-2013: Ozzie Newsome. He gets his second ring with this win as a GM.

2013-2014: John Schneider. But Pete Carroll was calling a lot of the shots.

2014-2015: fug a GM. They got Belichick and Brady.

2015-2016: Elway. I mean, the guy is a legendary QB getting better at the GM game. Plus they were playing a Shula offense that was gonna Shula.

2016-2017: fug a GM. Again.

So yeah, It doesn't all revolve around the GM, and it doesn't take some savvy businessman godfather gangster goomba. Put your squad together and get them to play together. Profit.

that list really disproves everything you're saying

newsome, elway, schneider, thompson are all top GMs. then there's the pats/belicheck which are essentially the blueprint for sustained success and the steelers which are a well run orginization as well. the giants and saints are the only exceptions and somewhat of flukes but it happens in the one-and-done format sometimes

everything starts with the GM, there's nobody more important to sustained success for an organization. i wouldn't ever try to downplay their importance

Archived