• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers fire Dave Gettleman - A few thoughts

Jeremy Igo

Just now, Krovvy said:

Until this franchise finds some offensive talent for Cam to throw to Olsen is absolutely a priority.

What do you not understand about being under contract?

Olsen is signed already for 2 more seasons, and we have the franchise tag in our pocket as well....so we could control Olsen for 4 more seasons, at which time he would be 36.

Just now, thefuzz said:

What do you not understand about being under contract?

Olsen is signed already for 2 more seasons, and we have the franchise tag in our pocket as well....so we could control Olsen for 4 more seasons, at which time he would be 36.

If a player as important as Olsen isn't happy, and will even hold out, do you think the Panthers can just let it be? Olsen is a big piece of the offense, with almost no depth behind him.

16 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Smitty: Old

Dwill: Old & Whiney... Extra Whiney

JNO: If he wanted to play here, he would have accepted the franchise tag. 

---

G-Reg: I Doubt it

TD: I really doubt it.

this runs deeper.

Smitty: we paid him 7 mil to leave. Had 3 more very productive seasons

JNO: I know for a fact from inside sources was not only going to sign the franchise tag, was willing to sign a contract with us for a discounted rate.

Now you're talking about screwing over  guys who are this current teams backbone? Nah see ya G-Man

Just now, Krovvy said:

If a player as important as Olsen isn't happy, and will even hold out, do you think the Panthers can just let it be? Olsen is a big piece of the offense, with almost no depth behind him.

Yes, you force his hand.  He signed the contract....honor it.

Being happy means jack poo in the NFL.  It's nice when the players are....like 2015, but it isn't the end all be all. 

17 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

It's very uncommon to extend a 34 year old linebacker with another year on his deal.

Olsen, while I understand his desire to make more money, has 2 years left.

Smith, and DWill were the right football moves, and I'm thinking that when we look back in a year or so on the Norman deal, that it too will prove to have been the right football move.

This isn't 5th grade, and these aren't children.  These are grown ass men, who make a lot of money.

I know we are pointing to individual situations and agree that the moves are correct but I think the methods being used to carry them out may be causing an underlying problem within the organization. If the methods just don't fit with the organization then it can cause issues with not only directly with the guys being dealt with but other players and personnel within the team.  After recovering from the initial shock I don't think this was done in a vacuum and don't think it is just a reaction to a couple players being upset about Dave's flippant attitude. 

Let's fire the guy who is largely responsible for the most successful period in the franchise's history because he won't give outrageous extensions to aging veterans?

Welcome Huddle, we will now know what it's like to live in Jerry Jones and Al Davis world where the meddlesome owner fugs poo up on the reg.

If Jerry had thoughts of this before and let Beane go he is an idiot. If he did this as a knee jerk reaction to contract negotiations with a beloved aging vet, he is an even bigger idiot. 

Either way, welcome aboard the crazy train. 

11 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I know we are pointing to individual situations and agree that the moves are correct but I think the methods being used to carry them out may be causing an underlying problem within the organization. If the methods just don't fit with the organization then it can cause issues with not only directly with the guys being dealt with but other players and personnel within the team.  After recovering from the initial shock I don't think this was done in a vacuum and don't think it is just a reaction to a couple players being upset about Dave's flippant attitude. 

I'm not a huge fan of how the Smith, D Will, or Norman situations were handled, but again, these are grown men, working in a billion dollar league.

I get that we have always had a "family type" locker room, but it sure hasn't produced tons of wins long term.

1 minute ago, Montsta said:

Let's fire the guy who is largely responsible for the most successful period in the franchise's history because he won't give outrageous extensions to aging veterans?

Welcome Huddle, we will now know what it's like to live in Jerry Jones and Al Davis world where the meddlesome owner fugs poo up on the reg.

If Jerry had thoughts of this before and let Beane go he is an idiot. If he did this as a knee jerk reaction to contract negotiations with a beloved aging vet, he is an even bigger idiot. 

Either way, welcome aboard the crazy train. 

Agreed.  This was/is a gross miscalculation by JR....at least IMO.

Archived