• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers fire Dave Gettleman - A few thoughts

Jeremy Igo

12 minutes ago, MadHatter said:

How many of you Chicken Little's were calling for Gettleman's head when he released Smith and a Norman...and are now saying the sky is falling because he is gone.

you guys are hysterical.

So far I'm going to say 63.48764%

5 minutes ago, FireTom said:

It's very common to extend your veterans contracts in their last season of their current one. So it wasn't out of the ordinary for TD and Olsen to want an extension. Gettleman has a bad habit of running off good players during these times. Rumor has it that he was about to pull a Steve Smith/Josh Norman move on TD and Olsen

It's very uncommon to extend a 34 year old linebacker with another year on his deal.

Olsen, while I understand his desire to make more money, has 2 years left.

Smith, and DWill were the right football moves, and I'm thinking that when we look back in a year or so on the Norman deal, that it too will prove to have been the right football move.

This isn't 5th grade, and these aren't children.  These are grown ass men, who make a lot of money.

6 minutes ago, FireTom said:

JR has been stewing on this since the super bowl loss. Dave is drafting genius but a management nightmare. Key examples are the handling of Smitty, Dwill, and JNO. It looked as if he was heading that same route with G-Reg and TD.

Smitty: Old

Dwill: Old & Whiney... Extra Whiney

JNO: If he wanted to play here, he would have accepted the franchise tag. 

---

G-Reg: I Doubt it

TD: I really doubt it.

this runs deeper.

Hard to say this is a knee jerk reaction out of Richardson when the reason that is floating around as the impetus has happened year after year.  I personally prefer letting aging vets walk as hard as that may be in some instances.  Gross, Smitty, Norman were all very tough decisions to swallow considering they were very beneficial financially to the franchise (on field product, merchandise, media).  The team can still come out ahead by redefining the core and having strong scouting.  I can see where GMan's style could cause problems but I still think this was a bad decision made terrible by the timing of it.

1 minute ago, trueblue said:

Smitty, Dwill and JNo were all the correct football decisions. 

Olsen has 2 years left on his deal.. Davis is a 34 year old LB with 3 ACL tears.. The correct football decision is to work Turner, Norwell, and Star.. Once thats done deal with the guys under contract.

Jerry has a just enough James Dolan in him to make me nervous.

I disagree, we paid smitty 7 mil to leave us and he played 3 more very productive years. Josh Norman was the best corner in the league, willing to sign the tag and give us a discounted contract. DWill maybe the right move but handled very poorly. TD and Olsen are at the top of the game at their positions. A simple extension is not asking a ton. The are value assets. We can't ask loyalty from our players but never show loyalty back in return.

7 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

It's very uncommon to extend a 34 year old linebacker with another year on his deal.

Olsen, while I understand his desire to make more money, has 2 years left.

Smith, and DWill were the right football moves, and I'm thinking that when we look back in a year or so on the Norman deal, that it too will prove to have been the right football move.

This isn't 5th grade, and these aren't children.  These are grown ass men, who make a lot of money.

It's also to uncommon to pull back a franchise tag on the best corner in the league. Pay your star receiver 7 mil to leave. 

What's the point of developing players to the top of the game and then letting another team reep the benefits by letting them go. 

TD and Olsen are far more valuable than Gettleman's ego

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Agreed.

All I can say is WTF? This is a stupid move at this time. I'm flabbergasted and sure as fug wasn't expecting this after reading from most experts that we had a great offseason. There's no one that has to be extended right now. Right now we should have been focused on the 2017 season, period.

As a fan, I'm pissed that we now have distracted this team from what I thought was a hell of an offseason and a very good chance to get back to the SB with good play.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Oh, we should be extending players....but not named Olsen or Davis.

Just now, FireTom said:

It's also to uncommon to pull back a franchise tag on the best corner in the league. Pay your star receiver 7 mil to leave. 

What's the point of developing players to the top of the game and then letting another team reep the benefits by letting them go. 

TD and Olsen are far more valuable than Gettleman's ego

Smith was the right call, this wasn't just an on the field deal, it was also a locker room deal.  Was time to hand the keys to Cam.

Pulling the franchise tag was odd, but in the end, we weren't going to pay Norman, and he was going to be a distraction.  The deal that he signed in Washington would have severely hampered our ability to sign KK, Star, Turner, or Norwell....younger more important players at this time.

TD and Olsen were both under contract this coming season...period, end of story.

Archived