• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers fire Dave Gettleman - A few thoughts

Jeremy Igo

The locker room is happy now. This is opposite of a melt down. Keeping Gettleman pissing key veteran players off is a meltdown.

Can't pay everyone. D.G knew this. JR.
doesn't want to hear it. How long do you keep a player and for how much? Father time is the decider. You want to win or do you want to lose? Speed and youth win games.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I don't give a poo about appeasing multi-millionaires. You signed a contract, you agreed to your compensation, that's what you get. This isn't a family business, it's a cutthroat league. You think Belicheck or Robert Kraft lose a wink of sleep at night thinking about giving veteran players contract extensions?

1. "Success of the team" is nowhere close to the top priority of JR. Financial success of the team is.

2. Financial success of the team is completely and directly tied to the continued sales of PSLs and sell-outs.

3. Continue to piss off veteran players, i.e., Steve Smith, DeAngelo Williams, TD, Greg Olsen.... sooner or later even the most die-hard Gettelman fans will have to start listening to the players. And pissing off the fans does not do well for PSL sales and sell-outs.

3 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

I don't give a poo about appeasing multi-millionaires. You signed a contract, you agreed to your compensation, that's what you get. This isn't a family business, it's a cutthroat league. You think Belicheck or Robert Kraft lose a wink of sleep at night thinking about giving veteran players contract extensions?

Honestly, it probably does bother Belichick and Kraft to let good veteran players go, but they do understand that this business is about winning.

Greg Olsen and TD have now had a hand in undermining our old GM and getting him ultimately fired. Potential options for a quality replacement are low and will cast the rest of the organizational structure (coaching staff) into doubt. I'm sorry but I have a hard time cheering for those two guys now. They fuged us long term because they want more money. They can and will retire at any time they want.

7 minutes ago, Ship said:

Greg Olsen and TD have now had a hand in undermining our old GM and getting him ultimately fired. Potential options for a quality replacement are low and will cast the rest of the organizational structure (coaching staff) into doubt. I'm sorry but I have a hard time cheering for those two guys now. They fuged us long term because they want more money. They can and will retire at any time they want.

Honestly, this isn't so crazy to think about.

When Olsen and TD started spouting, DG probably just looked at the contracts, shrugged his shoulders, and said to himself "aren't they already under contract?"

And went back to work trying to sign Norwell, Star, and Turner...like a GM should.

13 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Honestly, it probably does bother Belichick and Kraft to let good veteran players go, but they do understand that this business is about winning.

Yup.

Fan favorite Vince Wilfork probably hurt...but you have to do what you have to do.

JR has been stewing on this since the super bowl loss. Dave is drafting genius but a management nightmare. Key examples are the handling of Smitty, Dwill, and JNO. It looked as if he was heading that same route with G-Reg and TD.

6 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Honestly, this isn't so crazy to think about.

When Olsen and TD started spouting, DG probably just looked at the contracts, shrugged his shoulders, and said to himself "aren't they already under contract?"

And went back to work trying to sign Norwell, Star, and Turner...like a GM should.

It's very common to extend your veterans contracts in their last season of their current one. So it wasn't out of the ordinary for TD and Olsen to want an extension. Gettleman has a bad habit of running off good players during these times. Rumor has it that he was about to pull a Steve Smith/Josh Norman move on TD and Olsen

1 minute ago, FireTom said:

JR has been stewing on this since the super bowl loss. Dave is drafting genius but a management nightmare. Key examples are the handling of Smitty, Dwill, and JNO. It looked as if he was heading that same route with G-Reg and TD.

I disagree. I had no problem with letting any of those players go. Even with JNO, it was obvious that he was going to start causing problems with personal fouls. Yeah, it hurt to lose him for one season, but we are set for the long run at CB now and have a lot more money to spend on guys like Trai Turner.

1 minute ago, FireTom said:

Smitty, Dwill and JNo were all the correct football decisions. 

Olsen has 2 years left on his deal.. Davis is a 34 year old LB with 3 ACL tears.. The correct football decision is to work Turner, Norwell, and Star.. Once thats done deal with the guys under contract.

Jerry has a just enough James Dolan in him to make me nervous.

Archived